Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Right Side Scoop Challenge Project

I know what I'd like to end up with in the way of material. I'd like to have it in the same plastic that the OEM left scoop is in so it has the same feel, look and quality.
    This would be ideal, a matching RSS! The one from my comfort kit sticks out too far forward in addition to being the wrong shape. What does urethane look like? Is the OEM part ABS plastic? If a full scale 3D rendering is made, does anyone out there know how to go about having a type of mold to make it in the factory style black plastic? I think most of those parts are injection molded. Again, I have no idea how to go about it or if it would be too expensive BUT, if five guys were planning to buy the fiberglass or carbon one listed at the top of the thread, that would be over a thousand bucks right there. Maybe we could get pretty far if enough people are interested in this and redirected their parts money.

Way to take the ball and run with it. This project may go quicker than I thought. I figured we'd have to make a file from scratch.
    Unfortunately, scanning is a pretty complex process; getting a usable 3D model directly from a scan would be pretty incredible using the hardware I have access to. Once I process the scan with the scanning software, I'll bring it into CAD and basically just use the scan as a guide for making a surface from scratch, which I will then thicken to a solid model and finish the details from there. It's not quite from scratch, and it's not quite straight from scanning to a model...consider it more like a 3D stencil. Didn't get to work on it today, but I will try to attack it tomorrow.

Guys, for manufacturing keep in mind that the scoop is two (injection molded, I assume) pieces that appear to be either pressed or glued together. If you want to match the OEM quality, that will require two separate injection molded parts, not to mention I will need a scoop that I can pull apart (read: destroy) so I can scan both pieces. It will not be as cheap as you want it to be. I, personally, recommend finding a fairly high durometer urethane which can stand a fair amount of heat and pouring that into a mold.

I'm following this with interest. Not so much in the part.... but the technology is interesting/amazing. I'm so out of touch with modern ways.....

can you do this for a XB12SS seat cowl?

prices are a little crazy for the only few suppliers.

Guys, for manufacturing keep in mind that the scoop is two (injection molded, I assume) pieces that appear to be either pressed or glued together. If you want to match the OEM quality, that will require two separate injection molded parts, not to mention I will need a scoop that I can pull apart (read: destroy) so I can scan both pieces. It will not be as cheap as you want it to be. I, personally, recommend finding a fairly high durometer urethane which can stand a fair amount of heat and pouring that into a mold.
    The OEM left scoop being 2 parts is correct. However, they are not bonded together. The front part simply snaps on. I just pulled mine off for this picture.

I don't know what everyone else thinks. But do we really need the right side in 2 parts like the left? I think maybe it just needs to have the crease to look like 2 parts.

In case anyone is wondering. The front parts are interchangeable between the '03 and '10 scoops. So the front section is the same across the board.

I am wondering if the factory part was made in two pieces due to the manufacturing process. Maybe it is too hard to cast/pour/mould or whatever, this in one big piece. The snap on duct (smaller part) looks like it would be hard to keep that shape if both parts were made as one solid piece.

Ah, nice, I didn't realize they were just clipped together. Regardless, if you guys want an OEM quality, injection molded part, you'll have to pay for 2 separate molds, which will get pricey. A poured urethane mold won't be perfect, but it can be pretty good.

I see a lot of people are excited about this but to me it just seems like a waste of time. Just my .02. But I wish you guys luck in your venture.

Spent some time processing the scans today, almost done the hard part. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something I can bring into CAD--once I have the scan in CAD, the surface modeling shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Any update? Im still following this! Wanna hear what you guys come up with :D

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast