Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearings at tire change?

I'm putting new tires on my 07 9R in the coming weeks, and have been searching the forums for advice on wheel bearings. Some posts say to change them with every tire change, others say they're fine for 30k or more miles. I'm at just under 12k, and have not noticed any signs of bearing failure. What's the general consensus on this? Do them with tires, no matter what? Are they fine for another 10k or more? If changing, just the rear? Or front also? I've searched and didn't really come to any clear answer. I'm all for preventative maintenance where it makes sense, but prefer not to waste (that's waste, not spend) money when possible.

Thanks!

No way at each tire change! I did change mine to SKF brand bearings in stead of the OEM China-made ones just in case at probably around 5-6k (for peace of mind...no signs of failure to speak of). If I'm not mistaken, the bearing issue was more prevalent on the Uly. Maybe someone can confirm (or deny) that?

It does seem the 'every tire change' comments were more prevalent on the Uly boards, but better to get to the bottom of it now while the wheels are at the tire guy's already.

Have over 30k on my stock bearings: 2007 xb12r

I'm liking what I hear already. Thanks for the replies so far!

Only if they're trashed. But for peace of mind, you could - it is cheap enough if you do it yourself.

Totally valid point, Wally, although I'd hand that job off to the shop while they're changing tires. At the risk of sounding like 'that guy', my time is too short in the summer months to spend it in the garage. I love wrenching in the winter, but once summer comes around I have almost no free time and would rather spend it with my wife, or pedaling in the woods while the Buell is getting worked on. I know, I know... *puts on flamesuit*

Nah. I wouldn't worry about it unless you've been riding your xb through big mud puddles and/or other miscellaneous wilderness. You should be good. Like mentioned they can definitely be a DIY. I always keep a few sets handy though. Just in case.

30$ for piece of mind. Every other tire change

I did the rears on my uly at 11k and they were fine. Used some cheap $10 a piece bearings from the local parts store. Took about 5 min to change with the wheel already off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast