Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sprag clutch questions

It's not just a grinding sound, it flat won't start. Yesterday after assembly no grinding at all. Fired right up, I turned it off no clunk....perfect. I started it again a couple times everything was awesome. I picked up then started it and let it warm up. All of a sudden at about 172 degrees I hear it. Turn it off and it grinds. Take it all apart do it again this time tight as a nuns asshole and same thing. I cuss my stupidity at using locktight 262 and today everything back apart reassemble with high heat locktight and borrow neighbors air impact and go nuts. Exactly the same thing. Wtf. I love precious, but if I can't ride her what's the f'n point!

How does the compression release work? Anyone Bueller Bueller?

try you local advanced or auto zone and see if they have a 3/4' torque wrench. This way you can eliminate one thing. Not sure on the compression release, I don't believe they have it.

Is the inner sprag turning inside its cage, give me a few moments ill try to take and post a picture of what im talking about

Having trouble with my computer, but its possible the sprag wobbled when it was backed off and now after it warms up the tolerances are too far off.

It's the sprag. I checked everything else out and it's all fine. So for ****s n giggles I flipped the retaining ring over and reinstalled it. Completely different noise, same exact problem. It starts better now, but with the awful noises it makes I doubt it will for long so until I get another sprag it's back to ol reliable to putt around on!

Yup better safe than sorry, buy a new one before it disintegrates further... I'd make sure and do a thorough oil change when you put the new sprag in. Might go as far as to drop the oil pump screen while your at it.

I dump the oil pump screen every oil change!

Lets hope the crankshaft isn't worn unevenly from the sprag Here are a few pics of my spare. Sprag clutch moves freely and doesn't show signs of wear, and the spey clutch housing looks great as well. Holy F#$* I can't believe what these 2 cost. Almost $200 for the clutch and $100 for the housing and $23 for shipping. What ever happened to flat rate? I hope someone else gets ahold of the patents and makes them cheaper

Shawns, you rock. As to cheaper parts.....hahaha!

Ive been eyeing a used ducati sprag on ebay if its cheap enough Im gonna snag one just to see if its the same.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast