Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ulysses fuse/relay overheating

I'm having a chronic issue with the fuse/relay block getting so hot you can't touch it which causes an intermittent and the bike goes dead...
    Took it to HD and they did nothing.
    I think it has to be a bad ground connection.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

A few question, no ideas yet…

Do you have a DVOM to check circuit resistance and current draw?
    When does it get hot? Key on engine off will it get hot?
    If you are getting that much heat, I doubt if it's in a fused circuit as the fuse would have popped.
    A dealer should have some indication of what is going if they experienced the problem, did they get it to heat up?

John

Jeff,

I have been have a similair problem. Traced to ignition relay. I cleaned both grounds in battery area on left side of frame and the one behind headlights/ on forks and replaced relay also added star washers to all grounds. It runs much smoother and will run smooth at 1800 rpm in 1st gear if I can hold throttle steady. The relays where getting very hot! Didn't check today after ride but will tomorrow and let you know.
    I'm having a hard time understanding why they are getting so hot. I opened the bad relay and didn't see anything burned etc. The external contacts on relay seemed to be where I was having problems.

Vince

Well just went and checked mine its still getting very hot, so I tried a little experiment. Hooked up old relay to battery and charger and after about 2 minutes I couldn't touch the relay coil for over 2 seconds with out it burning my finger. Maybe its normal? Blew the fuse on my current meter or I would have checked that. I have a standard square relay from a car I'll hook up to battery tomorrow and check the temp. I'll let you know what I find.

Vince

Well the square relay got just as hot when the cover was off and touching it. So I'm thinking the heat my be normal. I think my spade lugs where worn on the relay and it wasn't making contact in the fuse box. For 20 bucks I gonna replace them all.

Im trying to figure out how to remove the contacts in fuse box for inspection but have had no luck.

Vince

If I remember correctly the back cover of the fuse box pops off. Pop cover off and push all wires and connecters into place firmly.

Yea I got back cover off, I was wanting to remove each wire. The manual is pretty good at explaining how to remove pins from other connectors just not fuse block. I need to really take a look at it. For now the new relay and cleaning ground has got bike running awesome. The no start was defiantly not the grounds though.

I cleaned three grounds (two under seat and one behind headlight) and it still didn't start until I wiggled relay. I replaced relay and it hasn't failed to start once.

I guess I have officially hijacked this tread.
    Thanks for your reply,
    Vince

Banned
    What is the fuse box relays part number? What is the Buell fuses type? Will this fit https://www.amazon.com/JawayTool-Pie...torcycle+fuses ?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-23-2016 at 04:47 AM.

I'm pretty sure fuses are universal. Just make sure you use the right amperage fuse when replacing

Banned
    I saw in an auto-parts store fuses and they were bigger than Buell fuses but the amperage can be the same. So what is the Buell fuses size? Mini?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast