Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan blowing fuses

ok it started doing this just a day or two ago. ill go out for a ride and when I get home Ill hit the kill switch to shut the machine off the fan kicks on for a sec then stops. then when I look at the fuse its blown. then Ill put a new one in right away and the fan kicks on for the duration of time till cool. can anyone give me a heads up on what the problem is. is my fan taking a crap or what.
    thanks

Any oily residue in the fan area, sounds like you may have a oil soaked fan.

I know my rocker box leaks a tad and it has been a while since I washed it. but I did today. is there a chance that it can be cleaned off to work proper again

see if you can spin the fan by hand without it binding up. Its kinda a pain in the butt to get to but not impossible.

it does seem to move pretty free. this thing is when I get done riding and I hit the kill switch it kicks on for about a second or two and then the fuse blows. but when I change the fuse right away it kicks on as soon as I put the fuse in the slot with no problems. I tried a 15 amp fuse and it seemed to work but when the fan kicks on it is really slow, like its having a hard time starting up.

Still sounds like a oil soaked fan motor coil. Mine did this exact same thing till it finally would only turn 3/4 of the way without me helping it

Or a short in your wiring. Got any rubbed bare spots?

its suppose to rain here for a few days ill dig a littler deeper this week and see what I can find. thanks for all the help in the mean time.

so I finally took the fan out to see if I could clean it up. but there really wasn't much for oil on it. I looked for some bare wires and didn't see anything. so I ran it for a bit with a 10 amp fuse and when the fan kicks on still blows tried it with a 15amp did the same thing. put a 20 amp in and it seems to work. is it bad to run a 20 amp fuse where it calls for a 10 amp. or is there any way to check the fan to see if that's the prob.

You need a new fan and new rocker gaskets. Mine looked OK from the rear, when I pulled it (with the same exact symptoms) the engine facing side of the fan was coated.

Do it now before riding season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast