Thread: tach really struggling

when I first turn my bike on the tach needle doesn't swipe and then when I turn it on it remains motionsless. However once I get moving it jumps up and starts working. However it's not smooth at all and seems a bit delayed. Anyone have any problems with this before or have any possible solutions?

It's been a year or so since I put a new dash in so I don't think it's from that at all.

Inactive
    tach needle should sweep in conjunction with speedo needle once initial power sent to dash unit via key switch. if speedo does but tach does not i'd check your male/female dash plug connection then consider that perhaps something wrong with dash you installed.

speed sweeps tach does not. but after running for a while it begins working but always choppy and delayed. I put a different dash background in a year ago and I can see its not hitting anything.... I will check plug connection. could it be the potentiometer (i know that's not it but whatever it's called) that sweeps the needle itself?

Inactive
    could it be the potentiometer (i know that's not it but whatever it's called) that sweeps the needle itself?
    no. my understanding is that the initial full charge of 12 volts that the dash assembly receives during "key-on" is what signals the tach and speedo needles to do the sweep. i believe the ecm sends the pulses to the tach portion of the gauge cluster when motor is running.

Great... Now nothing is working. Every now and then my speedo will work... Sometimes nothing, sometimes it says I'm going 160 when I'm really going about 25.... How can both of them be so messed up?

wiring issue ECM to IC?