Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help!!! my ****ing clutch is driving me nuts!

I think---I am not very knowledgable...but trying to fix that---not afraid to get my hands dirty. When I pull the clutch in and shift from Neutral to first the bike goes---then doesn't want to shift out of gear. I thought it was just the cable since the clutch lever had a lot of play---brought it to the local bike guy to swap front tires and had him "fix" the clutch cable issue---got it back today---clutch lever is twice as heavy and it still does the same ****ing thing. Any opinions or suggestions. He said "I will have to research it"---he is "not very farmiliar with the Buell drivetrains" ****! I thought I was going for a nice long ride

Do you know what the guy at the shop did to 'fix' the clutch? Adjust the cable? Adjust the clutch itself? Replace anything?

The first thing I'd do is just chill-out for a bit then when you're ready, go through the clutch adjustment procedure outlined in the manual.

he just did the cable....I think chillin out is probably I order---good call

It is very simple. Go pick up a derby cover gasket first. Back off the cable then adjust the clutch under the cover per the instructions in the manual. (Which is available on here!). Put the cover back on and then adjust the clutch cable.

Inactive
    tomahawk: owners and enthusiasts from all over the world read this forum so a few less F-bombs would be in order.
    have a competent mechanic do the below. a buell up to these specs providing all is well with clutch pack and trans, will shift buttery smooth with no neutral issues whatsoever:
    check primary fluid for correct weight/type/level
    check primary chain thru inspection door for correct tightness.....must be checked at room temp.
    remove derby cover
    slide rubber gaitor up to expose adjustment barrel on clutch cable
    loosen barrel jam nut and turn adjuster barrel clockwise until you feel alot of play in lever
    go to clutch pack after removing derby cover. turn slotted screw CC until snug....then turn in 1/2 turn. replace locking nut/spring combo and derby cover
    go back to cable adjustment barrel. now turn adjustment barrel CC until most all play removed from clutch lever.
    go to cable at lever perch. if adjusted properly you can pull cable out of perch approx. 1/8th inch.
    do the above and all will be fine.
    miss any steps or do it incorrectly and you'll struggle finding neutral and have a poor shifting buell.

Good vid on youtube to help you with adjustment - boring as hell, but good!

One of my first Buells was 08 xb9, trans needle bearing went out at 26k miles (water probably got in primary). Guy had it replaced by local shop & when he put it together shifting to gear would cause bike to roll forward with clutch in. Could be held with front brake, but would not shift without shutting off to shift back to neutral.

Took clutch out, tapped bearing with hammer into place per the service manual & all was well. If you have a moron or incompetent shop work on a buell, you will have issues. Not just Buells but all bikes in general. My opinion.

I hope it is just clutch cable or clutch adjustment.

it could also be a cracked primary cover flange.

Valid point ^

that's exactly what I was looking for. thank you!---yeah....sorry bout the F-bombs, I type how I talk.
    Curse like a sailor/trucker....funny since I am a former Marine and drive a truck---hahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast