Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possible stator issue???

I'm getting a lot of vapor out of the crankcase breather. and my voltage dropped to 12. was wondering if thats most likely the stator fried

Can't speak to the vapor.

Is 12 VDC what you're measuring at the battery? Is the bike running? What are the RPMs when you measure? You say the voltage 'dropped', so presumably there's a charging and/or a battery issue...

My voltage (read at the instrument cluster) is 12.2-12.4 with the key on, not running. It falls to 10.something-or-so during start-up, then once the engine's running climbs steadily to 13.7-13.9 VDC at idle (1K RPM). Going down the road at 3k-4k RPMs it reads 14.0-14.1 VDC. I keep my battery on a Tender when not riding, and the battery is fairly fresh (couple months old).

Alan

Everything was running good then I noticed steam/vapor coming out under the airbox cover. I switched over to temp bat and the temp was fine and the bat had dropped to12.5 to 13 so I headed home and by the time I got home the bat was at 11.8 to 12. I took the seat and covers off looking for what was smoking or steaming. and pinpointed it to the crank case breather. I started the bike back up and after a couple minutes of running vapor/steam started pouring out of the crank case breather and the voltage guage was at 11.5 11.9 and the voltage system error was on the ic and battery and engine light came on.

Ah, that's normal. Keep riding.

JK. :p

I've never heard of the smoke/steam symptom. I'm assuming you checked the oil level. If you are on a '09 and haven't done the rotor/stator dance, then you might as well do it now. Your voltages certainly suggest that is your problem, but in reading this forum you'll see that the problem can manifest itself in so many ways.

You could go nuts and/or broke trying to rule out everything that COULD be giving you trouble.

Stator or VR. One or the other possibly both.

I was hoping to make it threw the rest of the riding season and do all the upgrades over the winter. I got the bike at the beginning of June and it only had 1400 miles on it now it has 2800. Hope the tech I recently met is a big buell guru as he says he is. Cause I had it at my local Harley dealer a couple weeks ago to reset the security code and they had no idea how to do it then tried to charge me $50 for hooking it up to their computer. Any how first thing first find the problem then go from there

Stator isn't that bad you just need a crank locking too, 3/4' torque wrench, locktite 272 and 648(or permatex equivalent), I believe a 32mm socket, a little time and patience.

32mm is correct, and of you don't have or can't get a locking tool (mines loaned out right now) then get a powerful impact and it'll do the trick in a pinch

You can check the stator outputs by using a multimeter on the plug beneath the seat. It's possible one or more of the phases is shot due to overheating.

The voltage dropping after long periods at idle is consistent with stator or VR failure (or failure in process).

The steam seems like a separate issue. Are you sure it's the crankcase breather and not the vent on the tank? Have you ridden in rain lately?

Moisture boiling out of oil happens. But it shouldn't be to the extent you're describing unless there is alot of condensation accumulating some how in the engine.

Well got the news the stator is fried and it took out the VR too. Got all the pieces on the way for the stator ordered one from Ricks electric ordered the drilled stator rotor from EBR along with the nut and gasket. Also noticed after I finished my order they have the LED tailights again really wish I would of seen that when I was placing my order so I don't have to pay the shipping a second time. But I can't find a VR made for my bike so I'm wondering what other one's will work and whats the perfect spot to relocate it to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast