Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "prestart" procedure?

I picked up my new 09 Lightning yesterday. The sales rep showed me a "pre-start" procedure and I'm wondering if anyone else understands or knows about this. The guy said it was to reduce the odds of fouling a plug. The guy had the steps written up but couldn't find any copies. Here are the steps:

1) Turn key to On
    2) Open throttle fully open
    3) Flip run/stop switch to On
    4) When you do this, the engine light comes on for a few seconds, then blinks a few times. You hear something happen (supposedly shooting a small amount of gas into cylinder) but I don't know what it is.
    5) start bike

Anyone heard of this?? What does it do and does it help? Thanks in advance...

I MAY be wrong, but that guy is a tard. Just turn the key to on, flip the run/stop switch to On, and then listen for the fuel system to prime itself (that's the noise you hear), now start it up.

There is NO reason to touch the throttle at all when you are first starting your bike.

I know on a carbed bike it would flood it out, lucky you've got EFI or it wouldn't have started for a while.

It didn't make sense to me either but the sales guy was pretty clear about it. I'm going to call him on Tuesday when they are open. I haven't found anyone else that has heard of this...

does the rep even ride a buell......make sure it is in neutral,turn key on,do not open throttle..no need,turn the RUN/STOP switch to the on position and start it up.......it is fuel injected,no need to twist the throttle.....you have come to the right place for answers...this group will have all the details for you in no time.....

Sounds like he rides A cruiser and thinks the Buell is somekind of a Moto G P monster!

You do need to let her warm up a little before taking off though.....

Would that be a way to zero the tps?

It sounds very similar to the procedure of zero'ing the TPS but I don't know why he'd suggest I do that every time I ride the bike.

Unfortunately, dealer is closed today and tomorrow so I won't be able to confirm until Tuesday.

I've seen great instructions for mods (with pics) on this site. I don't have a service manual so please let me know if there's a link (with pictures) describing how to access the plugs. I'm assuming that's the issue... very frustrating not to be able to ride a new bike.

I'm debating changing my own plugs and just taking it back to the dealer but that is in Austin 2 hours away.

I'm debating changing my own plugs and just taking it back to the dealer but that is in Austin 2 hours away.
    +1 on changing your own plugs. It's not that bad as long as you DON'T follow the manual.

The 1st time I changed plugs I followed the service manual taking them out (removing outer & inner air boxes off) and it sucked! I now do them as described below and takes 15 mins.

1) Take off seat, outer airbox cover, and left side air scoop.

2) Pull boot off front cyclinder plug and use 5/8" spark plug socket & 5/8" combo wrench to switch out plugs.

3) Pull boot off rear cylinder with long needlenose pliers. Use 5/8" spark plug socket - swivel connector - 6" in. extension - and Ratchet.

4) Stick all this through the space circled in the picture. (I was too lazy to take the outer airbox off for the pic.) It basically gives you "direct" access to the rear spark plug. Use your left hand to go in behind the frame where the air scoop was, and guide the socket onto the plug and remove.

5) Put the new spark plug in using the same method or a length of 3/8" fuel line, using the left hand through the air scoop space to guide. Be sure not to cross-thread.

1) put gear on
    2) thank your buell for existing en letting you ride her
    3) put the key in
    4) turn the key
    5) check that you're in neutral
    6) if you killed the engine with the kill-switch, flip in on
    7) wait for the fuelpump to build up pressure
    8) start the bike
    9) put your helmet on your head
    10) get your gloves on
    11) take a seat on your buell and start relaxing your cheecks
    12) drive off, have fun and keep smiling!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast