Thread: Knobbies, what's up with that??

So I've decided the next set of tires on my Uly will be knobbies. Even though 90% of my riding is on pavement, I just want to try it.

So for those of you who've done it, what tires did you try and why? What are your thoughts regarding tire wear, performance on pavement, wet pavement & gravel? Are you comfortable leaning on the street? Any other pros/cons? Also, where'd you get them and what sizes?

Any and all other knobby info is appreciated.

I've got about 700 miles left in my Dunlops...

You're going to have trouble finding true non-DOT knobbies in sizes that'll properly fit your Uly.

Pirelli Scorpions come in 17" but I don't believe you'll find them in the right widths. Even if you could, you say you ride 90% on slab? Knobbies would be a total waste. They'll be sqirelly, loud, & you'll be lucky to get 500 miles out of them.

You'll be better off shopping for a set of 50/50 70/30 or 80/20 dual-sport tires.

Don't go full knobblies. You'll trash your tires in about 2000kms.

I have Karoo 3 175/65/17 on back (I think) and have done about 4000km (dirt and pavement).
    It has about the same amount of life left. It's a 70/30 tire, but sticks like crazy on pavement and dirt.

Front I have Perelli MT90 (I think) - away from home, so I am guessing.

They sing a bit, but grip well and allows you possibility of venturing off tarmac.

Seeing one of your Uly's with hiking boots, and now you want to play off-road too?!

The TKC's feel a little rough on asphalt, but once you get used to them, they're completely capable for most normal riding on the street. I can't speak to wear, as I probably only have 400 miles on these tires. However, with all those twisty roads around you, I'd consider going something slightly less aggressive. I don't think I'm as confident leaning the Uly over on pavement with those tires. But - you probably have a ton of trails around there too, so it would be nice to go exploring.

In the dirt - there's something very satisfying about throwing a 500lb monster into a powerslide and sending dirt and mud everywhere, and then putting all that torque and horsepower into a 70 mph blast onto the dirt straightaways. A few friends riding behind me said they actually laughed out loud watching me throw that bike around in the mountains. Seeing a 180 tire send a rooster tail and hearing that drummer pipe open up coming out of each corner is just plain fun.

I think the cheapest I found the tires was Rocky Mountain ATV. I know you've had more than a few Uly's, including this one - so if I was you, I would look for a spare set of wheels. There's a guy, Paul, who is always stripping down XB's and selling the parts. I think I got the spare wheels from him at a very fair price.

The TCK80's might be the best bet if your lookimg for chunky tires. They come in the correct size, and are made for heavier bikes (as opposed to dirt bikes).My buddy has a BMW GS1200 that came with them OEM. He likes them and is 90 on/10 off.

The best bet to find out some info on them is through some of the GS, or KTM forum sites as those tires are standard equip on some models. My buddy says they feel surprisingly smooth on road and just vibrate a bit when braking. He was just saying last weekend he had 1500 miles on them and they still looked real good to me.

The tkc's are what I'm looking for. What's the proper sizes for guaranteed fit on the Uly?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com

120/70B-17 (58Q) Continental Twinduro TKC80 Dual Sport Front Motorcycle Tire
    Part # 1425860004

180/55B-17 (73Q) Continental Twinduro TKC80 Dual Sport Rear Motorcycle Tire
    Part # 1425900008

Thanks 'Wolve!

No problem. I have Scorpion Trails on the Uly with black wheels for my "daily driver" tires. It looks pretty good with black wheels, too. With a set of Pitbull stands, I can have the wheels changed out in about 10 minutes.

I keep thinking about putting that set with TKC's on my Firebolt, just to take a picture for giggles... (Although - never listen to the ADV guys when they say "we'll stay on the roads" - that most likely includes fire roads and ATV trails in their mind. I got some funny looks riding a sport bike alongside mountain bikers on a trail.)

never listen to the ADV guys when they say "we'll stay on the roads" - that most likely includes fire roads and ATV trails in their mind
    Yup! You're not actually "off-road" until you are hopping logs, crossing rivers, & up to your axles in mud!