Thread: '06 XB9SX -- Blown fuse, new one not seating

BLUF: 10A Accessory fuse blew, new one won't seat properly and gets super hot during operation. What now?

Bike:
    Buell XB9SX, 2006, ~10K miles, recently serviced

Background:
    Previously when riding, gauge cluster would sometimes reset on me. Needles would go to zero, then come back to previous values.

Yesterday at work, at the end of the day, I noticed the instrument cluster did not activate at all when I put the key in and turned the bike on. High beam headlight & horn still functioned, brake lights only activated on brake (not on during standard operation). Rode home using GPS speedometer app on phone, visible through tankbag.

Today, cracked open front fairing under gauge, inspected all connections, found them good.

Inspected fuse box, found that 10A fuse to "ACC" (accessories) had blown and partially melted, some plastic on the fuse box melted as well. Sanded away melted plastic. Replaced fuse, but it doesn't "click" in or lock. When fuse is wiggled, the gauge cluster turns on and off. The fuse also got VERY hot, to the point where it was painful to hold.

Questions:
    1) Is it even a good idea to replace the fuse box if that fuse is overheating again?

2) Where can a replacement fuse box be found?

3) I didn't find any service manual procedures to change out the whole fuse box, do any exist?

Thanks for the help!

i wouldnt put another fuse in it till all wires have been traced and inspected. it sounds as if you have a short some where or a wire that is chaffed enough to short.

Inactive
    as the chief said you have a dead short somewhere. simplest trouble-shooting method is to start at steering neck and check for any chafed wires and also around the fusebox area. look in your service manual schematic for components that are powered/inline with the acc fuse. unplug all of them, replace fuse, see if it holds, then connect each component until fuse pops. should make locating the culprit fairly easy.
    used complete harnesses and fuse box assemblies on evilbay.