Thread: Rookie Advice

OK, my little brother was killed about 3 weeks ago riding his 03' Firebolt. He had 2 other bikes. A 25th anniversary 1125r and an R1 that needs quite a bit of TLC. I've been on a few bikes in my life but nothing close to truly gaining any rider experience. I am having the stator fixed on the 1125r and I plan to ride it in a week, for his memorial tribute ride by and a longer route to follow. I'm not an expert on bikes but I know this is a serious machine and really... I shouldn't be starting out on a bike of this caliber. Its the only bike I have though and I'll be damned if I miss my brothers tribute ride by and ride. I'm looking for pointers, advice or anything else that will help me along in riding my new 1125r.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Try and take a basic riders course before the tribute. I watched Twist of the Wrist 2 when I got my first bike 3 months ago and I found it to be helpful. http://youtu.be/KVWLIfChUwg. Ride at your skill level and not everyone else's that you will be riding with. Take it easy and I am sure you will be ok. Ride safe.

Damn man, so sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Just take it easy. Ride at speeds you feel comfortable at. The bike is only as fast as you make it. The 1125 is a quick bike, but if you respect it, you will be good.

My condolences, was he a forum member?

Sorry for your loss...

I agree that you need a lesson before getting on that 1125; the goal is to honour your bro, not go with him.

take a msf course,invest in track days,once a month find a parking lot and practice emergency maneuvers.
    make this a routine for the rest of your riding life.

The bike is only as fast as you make it.

Sorry for your loss, our prayers are with you and your family. If you need someone to talk to, pm me and I'll send you my number.

sorry for your loss. just do as others suggested and you will be fine. keep her on 2 wheel.

ATGATT& Ride within your limits, not everyone else's. I know it is summer and hot as ball$ out, but riding gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, riding pants, and good boots) should be your number one priority. Saying that, I know we are all adults here, but even the most experienced of riders can go down at any time. after all, they don't call accidents "purposes". Taking a basic riders course will give you the fundamentals to grow on as well.