Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical? bug has me stumped...

I have an 04 XB12S with a bad attitude right now. After hitting a deer in May 2013, I just got back on the road a couple weeks ago. First ride of 100 km was great, the bike ran well and felt strong. The next day, I hit the road for a 500 km ride on a fairly warm day (40 c). Getting close to my last fuel stop, the bike stalled out at the gas pump and when I tried to restart, the starter solenoid just clicked like it would if the battery was too low. I called my gf for a ride home and looked at the bike the next day. I have a fairly fresh Odyssey battery that I charged overnight. The 77 connector had heated up and some melting had happened. I cleaned that up and seems to be good. I found a wire for the fuel pump had chafed through and was grounding out, got that fixed. Now, it cranks over strongly, but will not fire. I ran ECM Spy and there were no codes, ran the diagnostics and everything checked out fine. I've changed the plugs and checked all grounds. I even poured a little fuel down the throttle body to see if it would fire, SFA...
    Any ideas of what else I could check?
    Thanks in advance,
    Cheers
    Bill

did you check fuses?

Inactive
    bill: do what rick mentioned above plus remove seat, remove fusebox cover, look at fuse schematic, find ignition fuse and ignition relay and check both carefully. if ok go to front left of bike and remove factory air intake scoop. there are 3 torx screws. lay it aside and remove front spark plug. ground it to motor, key and run switch both to on, crank motor. spark? it's a fueling problem. no spark? it is ignition problem. if no spark start by replacing both plugs and check coil connection wire. you'll have to remove airbox cover, filter dome lid, filter, and base plate to do same.
    post back with finding.

Yup, checked all the fuses and contacts. Checked/swapped the relays, pulled most plugs to check contacts, cleaned grounds....
    It was running really well all day. The CEL started to faintly light a few minutes before the gas station, but the bike was still running well.
    When I ran the ECM Spy diagnostics, everything cycled through with no alarms showing.:(

Pulled both plugs, got one spark from the front plug then nothing. No spark on rear plug. The plugs are brand new (yesterday). I also checked with the plugs that I pulled (NGK Iridium)Checked wiring to the coil and connections. Just to be sure, I put the plugs in my lawnmower spark plug lead and they (all 4 plugs) have a nice hot blue spark.

i had this issue.

check your regulator/rectifier connections there was a plug upgrade kit recommended back in 2008 for older bikes cause of arching. check your charging system wires and plugs.

check your grounds also.

http://whiteproducts.com/sealed480.shtml

Here's the post that about the U'ly that got me off on the right foot:
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...38/446915.html

Here's the part number info:
    Voltage regulator Connector Service kit Y1312.02A8

I sincerely hopes this helps save someone the type of money I've spent...

Inactive
    bill: excellent diagnostics on your part. you mentioned you ran full array of ecm diagnostics. run it again and use the tab or section mentioning ignition/spark confirmation test. i think you'll find your coil is bad. due to their mounting point and locale they incur alot of heat and vibration. i believe it is finished. new in the mid-$30s...i never buy used. also carefully check your plug wires when replacing coil. coil under air intake system base plate. an easy fix. hope that helps.

i think you'll find your coil is bad
    That would sure be my guess too!

Thanks for your input Lunatic and Drogen. Will have to check out the coil tonight after work and see if the local dealership has one to replace it with. I know that they have some Buell parts, but they don't make much of an effort for the Buellers still out there.

Cheers,
    Bill

and see if the local dealership has one to replace it with. I know that they have some Buell parts, but they don't make much of an effort for the Buellers still out there.
    They have to have been a Buell dealer when they were selling Buells. MANY people seem to believe that ANY Harley dealership should be able to help them and get all bent when they don't. While they ARE out there, I have found far and few in between, many Harley dealers *who was Buell dealer*, to go the extra mile to help us. I actually have not come across any at this point in the Pa. / Md. area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast