Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the extra HP?

Hey all, can someone tell me where the Buells make all the extra horse power? As I understand it a stock Sportser 1200 makes around what? 55-65 hp? How is my 1203 rated for 103? Also, just for yuks, anyone have a pic of the pistons for this bike.I understand they're pretty cool

I don't know the ins and outs but I am sure it uses different cams and lifters with specific tuning. that is why it idles like arse but is happy in the 4k to 7k range. i am sure xopti will sound off in 3... 2... 1...

cause it's tuned differently

theres not that big of difference probably 10 to 15 hp at the rear wheel...bump the compression up on a sportster with cams like the buell and your about equal that 103 is at the crank dont get confused

Ok, obviously it's tuned differently than a stock Sporster. What about different pistons, heads,cams,valves, injection mapping, throttle body, bla bal bla. Is there much difference in parts? And I kinda figured 103 at the crank....so with extra gearing and stuff it makes about the same HP a Busa right? (just kidding):D

maybebuell, although i do agree that power is at the crank, but have you ever looked at any of the dyno sheets for xb12 and xb9s? I know a lot of people on here that have over 100 hp at the rear wheel with some easy mods.

If what you are saying is true about the loss of 10 to 15 horsepower, then a buell xb 12 would have 88 at the rear wheel and then a sportster would have 50 hp at the rear wheel. That is still 33 extra horsepower, that is a lot.

maybebuell, although i do agree that power is at the crank, but have you ever looked at any of the dyno sheets for xb12 and xb9s? I know a lot of people on here that have over 100 hp at the rear wheel with some easy mods.

If what you are saying is true about the loss of 10 to 15 horsepower, then a buell xb 12 would have 88 at the rear wheel and then a sportster would have 50 hp at the rear wheel. That is still 33 extra horsepower, that is a lot.

im going by dyno sheets what they make at the rear wheel,,,sporty is at the rear wheel buell at the crank..stock buell is about 80 hp at rear wheel ?...sportster wih same mods as buell like you said compression cams heads ect would have the same power gains.80 hp....there are sportys like buells running 100 hp out of money lot of work and a lot of keeping fingers crossed that the motor last a riding season

okay that makes sense. I just thought we were talking about stock sporty engine, and stock buell engine.

One thing i dont get though, is a sporty engine with all those mods will be very unreliable and expensive. If Buell engines are simply nothing more than modded sportster engines like you say, why is it that some guys on here have Buell engines that have lasted 50,000 miles will little to no problems other than maintenance??

I was told the exhaust on a Buell has a lot to do with the extra power. Your able to get much better response out of a tuned exhaust then you will with the straight pipes on a sporty.

okay that makes sense. I just thought we were talking about stock sporty engine, and stock buell engine.

One thing i dont get though, is a sporty engine with all those mods will be very unreliable and expensive. If Buell engines are simply nothing more than modded sportster engines like you say, why is it that some guys on here have Buell engines that have lasted 50,000 miles will little to no problems other than maintenance??
    guess im saying with a few mods to a sporty motor will produce same power as a buell...think as it is now stock sporty puts out more torque....start talking rebuild before 50.000 or less is something i would not want... dont get me wrong sunk to much money into playing the vtwin game and enjoyed every min...after a while it gets old...thats why i got away from harleys for 7000... im on a 919 100 hp to rear wheel and will last my life time and cost me little ....but yes a stock sporty with just pipes less power then a buell id say will last longer between rebuilds

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast