Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stripped primary adjustment - What now?

So yes, I stripped my primary chain adjustment screw/hole. I was just doing a fluids change and decided to do my first primary adjustment and, well, I effed it up. I'm not sure exactly what to do next, whether it's heli-coil, time-sert or drill and tap. Don't know if I need to remove the entire primary cover (no garage, limited mech experience - obviously) and bring it to a machinist. Or (gasp) bring it in to HD.

Any advice is welcome. If you are in the PDX area and can help it would be rewarded with many beers!

Thanks!

Looks like you need to purchase a new primary cover, That adjuster threads into the cover.

I have no experience with Helicoils or Timeserts (I've been lucky enough never to strip a hole, knock on wood), but if it were me, I'd avoid HD. Perhaps you can find a cost-effective used primary cover(?). I'd consider welding up the hole then re-drilling & tapping...

Thanks for the replies, though I was hoping for something less money and labor intensive. :)

I've found a few threads where people have installed a time-sert and it seems to have been successful. Others have taken the primary to a machinist and had them install a helicoil. I'm nervous about doing a primary cover replacement myself considering my mechanical ineptitude, and the same thing applies to a timesert or helicoil. Very disappointed in myself right now as the damn primary chain was probably fine, if a smidgen loose, and I thought "it'll be good experience"...

Anyway, more opinions on ease of timesert install and/or primary cover removal/install are appreciated. Thanks again!!!

If you decide to go with replacing the primary cover its actually very easy. and you'd need to remove it to put a helicoil anyway to avoid getting shavings in the primary fluid.

I have a heli coil in mine bec of that. Works great. Yes you need to remove the cover because you need to take the tensioner out of the hole.

Also the jam nut is on upside down.

Also the jam nut is on upside down.
    Jam nut is correct.

To the op. I would look into a replacement cover. Either way you need to remove the cover. It's not really "hard". But you openly admit your wrenching skills are a bit lacking. An insert of any kind will tax your skills further. If you have a manual and more importantly some patience, you will be able to handle it.

Good luck with it.

Post up a general idea of where your located, I bet theres someone close that would be willing to lend a hand.

^^^^

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast