Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ulysses rider

Hi everybody,

I wanted to introduce myself as a new Buell owner in the UK. I've just picked picked up an '05 XB12X Ulysseys with 22k miles on the clock. Having traded up from a FZS600 Fazer the Buell is a very different machine. I love riding it and it certainly feels a lot more special than the Fazer. Being 6'6" means its much more comfortable and being in the UK I haven't seen another one on the road.

I've already taken it into my local HD dealer and had the TPS sensor reset as the bike shuddered a bit. It's not as smooth as the Sportster 1200 they loaned me, so I think I'll try and get hold of the ECM cable and ECMspy software as TPS resets seem to be common practise from what I have read.

Can anyone offer any advice on recommended/must do mods, as far as I can tell the bike is completely stock.

Cheers, Ads.

Yay a uly rider! :D :)

Welcome to buell world

Inactive
    welcome aboard ads. if you haven't done it already i would...for simple peace of mind....dump the fluids and check condtion of brake fluid front and rear. dot-3 will do....dot-4 preferred. the 2007 toyota yaris/scion oil filter fits all XB models including your uly. 20-50 quality synthetic in motor (i prefer castrol act-evo) and amsoil 20-50 in the primary if they have it over there on the " big rock". ulys do "shudder" as you put it if heavily throttled at anything below 3000rpm. they also tend to surge and fuel unsteadily at lower rpm's in stock configuration. something to consider when you buy your own cable and software is simply installing a "race map" and saving your stock EEPROM. it's simple to do and alleviates alot of that annoyance.

I thought the first year for the Uly was 2006.

Inactive
    ^^^^ it is. i suspect the DVLA in the UK issues their paperwork based on displayed date on frame sticker. probably his uly manufactured in 11/05 or something similar.

Any mods to the bike? I found my Firebolt to be lacking power under 3000 rpm, until I put the Drummer exhaust on there. It was like a whole new bike, with power much lower in the RPM range than the stock muffler.

My Uly has a Drummer on it too, but I'm guessing would probably have the same issue with a stock exhaust.

Congrats on the new bike - you'll love the Ulysses. I'm planning on taking mine into the mountains this Sunday for some dirt and gravel riding. My friend has a new KTM Adventure 1190, and he's always looking for other "big bikes" from our ADV group to go ride with him. We'll probably have a few V-stroms and KLR's join us for the ride.

Congrats on the Uly!!
    My experience with a STOCK 09 ULY consists of 20K miles of mostly commuter driving. A very inexpensive Mod that has Greatly helped with low end acceleration is adding a ground wire to the top of the motor directly to the battery. When adding the ground wire I also did the ECM relocate to keep from cracking it at the connectors. The breather re-route helped some with idle and acceleration. During the re-route also cut and placed thermal material under the Base of the Air Box while it was removed. These Mods are found here on this site and very easy, inexpensive, and fun to do. Enjoy your ULY!!

Thanks for all your replies.
    Hadn't heard about moving the ECM, so I'll do a bit of research. Bike has got good history, serviced at HD main dealer but due now, so appreciate the oil recommendations. A friend of mine is a bike tech and opens his new workshop servicing next month, so I'll take it to him and hopefully get my hands dirty and do a few of these mods at the same time.
    I thought the year was odd, date stamp is JUL05 and registered AUG05 on the logbook but all seems to check out, it must have been one of the first demonstrators.
    I'd thought about a aftermarket exhaust to make the most of the v twin sound, but I've been told they are really loud and if I understand correctly the interactive valve keeps the dB's down when idling?
    Thanks again! Ads

Woah what's the last 4 vin? Is it one of the first 100?

VIN is 0367 so I don't think that makes me one of the first 100, first 500 perhaps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast