Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB - 520 Chain Conversion Parts

So it happened when you got on the gas? It was probably the C/S sprocket that sheared the teeth off then, hey? Was that old 'Panther' belt intended for a different application?

I don't know anything about the Panther belt other than the name.

I did happen when throttle was applied during 1-2 shift. I usually shift hard, but this particular day was a very easy shift and then that happened.

The Gates belt popped on a hard 2-3 shift a couple days ago.

It's an '07 XB9R with Jardine can, K&N filter and custom tuning. Unless a PO did anything else internally, it's still stock.

Me:
    Good morning,
    I’m doing a chain drive conversion on my ’07 XB9R. The only pieces I need are the “Race Idler Sprocket” (G0600.07AH) and “XB Front Sprocket Nut” (CD0009.02AH), however you have them listed as “Out of stock”. Do you have any on order or do you have any intention to order more?

Thank you
    EBR:
    Hello,

We have more parts ordered, however we do not have an anticipated in stock date at this time.
    Once the parts are in stock, they will be available for purchase on the webstore.

Thank you,
    EBR Customer Service

Not sure what your previous history with chain drives is, but something you might want to consider if you haven't yet finalized your chain decision, is an old school non-o-ring chain.

Most folks probably think this is counterintuitive advice, but in my experience, if you are religious about chain maintenance, it's possible to get longer life without o-rings. This is because regardless of how well you regularly lube an o-ring chain, there's simply no way of replenishing the lube inside the pin/barrel assembly like is possible with a non-o-ring chain.

Theoretically, o-ring chains are internally lubed for life, but if you've ever pulled apart an o-ring chain after even only a couple thousand miles, you'll find virtually no lube left in there. The only thing the o-rings are accomplishing at that point is keeping water & dirt out.

Other benefits of non-o-ring chains are less friction drag on the driveline, and of course less $$$. Just be prepared for more maintenance.

I'm not very religious about chain maintenance, so n o-ring chain is that much more appealing.

Though your points make me second-guess my choice in chain.

I'm leaving the chain to be the last piece of the puzzle, since they're everywhere and there's so many different styles and choices each with ups and downs.

When racing go-karts, we always just used old engine oil to lube the chains. I've also heard of guys doing this for their motorcycle chains as well.

we always just used old engine oil to lube the chains
    Haha, I still have many bottles of used primary gear oil that I use to lube the chain on my G650x! I just wipe down the chain with kerosene each tank of gas (or after each ride in the dirt) to clean & displace any water, then give 'er a dose of old primary oil, let soak & wipe back off. I've got 15,000 km (~10,000mi) on that chain & it's not even needed a single adjustment yet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12