Thread: Race map with stock exhaust?

Im helping a guy out in Brazil, they don't have access to parts over there so I shipped him a bunch of stuff that he needed, sensors and all that.
    Here is the deal, he is running a stock map, stock exhaust but he only has a K&N air filter that I sent him. Code 13 popped up (too lean). I know it isn't sensors bc I sent him all new ones. I figure its that air filter. Here is my question, can he go over to race map with that stock exhaust? I figure the race map would richen the mixture and get rid of code 13. What are the effects of running a K&N, race map on a stock exhaust?

I'm running a race map with stock exhaust, I modified my airbox and am running a K&N filter it runs pretty well, I don't get much decel popping. I did a little tweaking with the fuel values especially in the rear cylinder between 2500 and 3500 rpm to fill in some lean areas. Every bike is different and atmospheric values change, so you (he) may want to fine tune it.

^^^^ Like cartman said you can run race map with stock exhaust. Where you been Tom old boy?

You can run a K&N filter and performance exhaust with a stock map and should not get any codes related to the engine being too rich or lean.

I would look at the O2 sensor wiring or connector first, especially if he replaced it with the part you sent.

Fuel Injectors clogged?

Yeah its a tough one.. The 02 is brand new, he said it went in nice and easy. This bike was really really ****ed up before I got to it. Could it be that his old map is so ****ed up that it threw a code just going around the block a few times?
    Im thinking about telling him to just keep the K&N and just ride it around for a while.. see if it throws any more codes that may give us more info. His TPS was ****ed, O2, one throttle cable, IAT was suspect and a questionable timing sensor..

Injectors could be clogged.. he bought this thing a few months back at a auction and it sat for months in a police impound.

another strange thing about this bike is that its not running a Ford fuel pump we don't think. Supposedly its able to put out the same volume and pressure but ... well, you know how that goes.

the owner is suspecting coil pack and he is going to pull the plugs to look at them.. Im not sure a bad coil can cause a lean condition though.

Where have I been? Riding almost every day, clubs and doing my thing. Thinking about selling off the 12R and getting the 1125CR.. once I got the 9SX, I rarely ride the 12R anymore.

we found it.. the incorrect fuel pump was installed. Something made by Bosch that wasn't doing the job.