Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went down, need advice.

Damn it, it happened. Was riding the Ohio Dragon on the east side of Columbus, came up on a corner with some gravel and WAMMO! I bruised my hip and knee a little but am fine, had all my gear on like always. Thank god too, couple nice dingers in my helmet. Anyway, frame is dented (no pucks, I know), broke shift pedal and primary cover where shift lever bolts to, bent handle bars a little. My question, I know insurance will total it cause the frame damage. Should I say the hell with and fix it, or let it be totaled, buy it back, and fix it. My worry is the insurance is going to ask way to much if I try to buy it back and I loose my bike all together. By the way, a pair of vise grips will work as a shift pedal, I rode for about 4 hours like that to get home,lol. Thanks for the input guys.

First off, glad you are alright.

Second, I don't know enough about insurance claims on bikes. Some of the other guys will have the experience. I'm assuming if you claim it and buy it back, then insuring the bike may be difficult depending where you live. I know paulpud and some other guys have frames lying around. Talk to them. It may be a whole helluva a lot cheaper and less of a headache to buy a used frame and just fix the bike yourself.

Oh, never even thought about the re insuring it after doing a claim on it. Probably have to get inspected and all that good stuff.

I'd think so if you're state does that. Here in Michigan, if it moves you're good.

If you call insurance they will 100% total it. Some of the auction bikes I get barely have a scratch on them. They total these bikes for a broken shifter now. If totaled it will have a salvage title no question. I'd say forget insurance. Send me a list of what you need I'll make you the right deal on everything you need to fix it.

Almost the same thing happened to me! Glad your ok I hit some gravel on an exit ramp and also dented my frame. My SS has the pucks but still took a pretty big hit! I didn't call my insurance I just fixed mine the everything on the left side was damaged. I fixed all that but the frame is still dented but the new frame puck covers it up! Still gotta replace my headers but that's a winter project! I say fix it and save the hassle with the insurance!

Glad you're OK fish...Also glad to hear your Buellie isn't too bad off too. I'm not sure, (did they write you up for anything, etc.?). IF you can get away without your insurance knowing anything about it, you're better off IMO. I had the same situation with a Ford Ranger. It was raining, and a young chick decides THIS is where she wants to turn! She locks up her brakes to make the turn....I ALMOST got it stopped. About $1200 damage to her car, and IDK how much to my Ranger. No cops, but I called my insurance company to explain it. They paid everything, AND totaled my Ranger. I bought it back to fix it as it wasn't bad at all. WOW! What a PIA! (I am in Pa.). It will have an 'R' Title now. (Reconstructed. As I plan to keep it, it isn't a big deal to me, but it kills resale value big time). But...I had to get a SALVAGE title first. Then I had to scan and email THAT salvage title to the insurance company before they'd send me a check. After repairs, it has to go thru an 'enhanced safety inspection'. (A fancy term so they can shove it up your hoo hoo...@ $175!). Then back to PennDOT for an 'R' title. I have more in paperwork than the Ranger is worth! (Sarcasm, but still...) . HERE'S the real bite in my ass though....my insurance went up a good bit...not crazy, but it will be like this for a total of 5 years after the date of the claim. It was NOT worth going thru the insurance company!!

Depends on your local laws, but where I live, if you bought the bike back from insurance you'd end up with a 'salvage title' which severely limits the resale value of it & may even relegate it to becoming a track-only bike. And even then, I'm aware of some tracks that are not allowing salvage title bikes on the track.

Another factor to consider of that the damage you did may be more significant than it appears. You should use a tape-measure to check that your major centre-to-centre chassis dimensions are still all symmetrical. It's very possible your front-end, frame, and/or swingarm are also bent.

Talk to your insurance regarding salvage titles. Most will still insure you, but you won't be able to get collision on the bike again.

My Firebolt is a salvage title rebuild. As long as you can find the parts, it's usually much cheaper to buy it back and rebuild.

Now that you say something go cytocis, I finished the ride after going down and the bike did seem different. I know the left side of the bar is bent a little. Wasnt sure if it was the bike or me being nervous as hell and gun shy. I rode the rest of the twisties slow! I guess there is always that chance something got bent or warped. I will have to check into that. If something is off bad, I might total it, buy it back and part it instead of putting alot of cash into it trying to fix it. Be better off buying another bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast