Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shinko Tires

I was hoping to find a good substitute for a cheaper price, the Shinko stealth kinda resembles the Michelins, but everyone says they don't last, the verge is supposed to be the next in line, with a longer lasting compound. As I have been told (I don't know if its true) Conti and Full Bore come from the same place as Shinko (Yokahama). Some Pirellis come from Commie China, and I didn't like Dunlop's before (may have a different opinion if I tried them again). I have been riding on the power one 2cts, have not tried the 3cts yet.

What exactly are you looking for? I COMPLETELY get the ‘wanting a cheaper option’ thing; tires can be ridiculously expensive; especially if you ride a lot. However, you seem to be all over the map and just kind of ‘stabbing in the dark’ in your choices. The Stealth is for drag racing and rag racing only (it’s a SUCKY street tire!). The Verge is marketed as a ‘sport-touring’ tire. Neither of which is really comparable to the Pilot one you have on their now. The Pilot one is more of a full-on ‘track day’ type of tire. Shinko does a pretty good job with ‘all purpose’ tires but they really don’t have anything like the Pilot one. I’d say the closest they have is the ‘Apex’, which I still wouldn’t put in the same league as that Michelin, not by a long shot.

Have you considered the plain old, regular Michelin Pilot Power (not the 2CT, 3CT, ABCDEFG or anything); you know, the one that was all the rage 5 years ago? The prices on it are down into the bargain basement now (I’ve seen them for less than $120 for a 180/55 online). It’s still a phenomenal tire and MORE than enough for street riding. The 2CT’s really have no significant advantage for street riding as the ‘2CT’ (2 compound tire) means that it has softer rubber on the far edges for SERIOUS cornering (the type that should be reserved for track riding).

All over the map? I hardly think so, I have been using Michelins for over 30 years, starting with Highsports and Slicks, riding on the street and road racing both at a novice level and professionally for a while. I was inquiring about Shinko tires with reasoning that on a bike roughly half as fast as what I used to ride, a cheaper, less aggressive tire would work fine. as stated before, I have gotten a lot of mixed reviews and decided to try their Verge model. To differ with the Capt Chaos statement, the Stealth model, per the Shinko site is a street/ track tire, but only comes in a soft or extra soft compound, their Hook Up model looks similar and is for Drag Race Use Only. As I stated, I have tried Dunlops, in the past, didn't like them then, maybe better now, but are more expensive than Shinkos for a trial. As far as your again incorrect comment, the 2 and 3ct or compound tires are not for track use only, they have the same compounds on the Pilot Road tires, just with a different radius area.
    As far as the comment "I'll lay good money that you're not cornering as hard as you think you are." I have worn out a lot of Knee Pucks over the years, and would like to put knee to pavement with my Buell from time to time.

I posted this question for informational purposes, not for personal attacks. If anyone but Capt Chaos wants my views, I will be happy to post.

:p this reminds me of the time I put 125 mains in my 76 kz900. An old school racer chimed in and said you never go over 120 main jets with a stock motor. Not on any kz that he had raced. I argued and said it rode fine. Secretly I went with 115 mains and ill be damned if the old school racer was right. That old kz with the full kerker system never ran better.

All over the map? I hardly think so
    I was wrong about the Stealth, I'll admit that. I had the models confused.

the 2 and 3ct or compound tires are not for track use only, they have the same compounds on the Pilot Road tires, just with a different radius area.
    Are you referring to the "Pilot" series of tires or the "Road" series of tires. BIG difference there. Man I hate Michelins naming scheme. :p

As far as the comment "I'll lay good money that you're not cornering as hard as you think you are."
    I'll lay good money that you're not cornering as hard as you think you are. ;)
    Notice the little "winky" smiley? It's all meant in good natured ribbing. No need ot get all sensitive about it.

and would like to put knee to pavement with my Buell from time to time.
    On a track, I assume? because dragging knee on the street is reckless, irresponsible, dangerous, inconsiderate and downright stupid.

i googled the chunking problem and came to this conclusion:...The dual sport guys had problems just due to the nature of their tires/bikes.
    I'm just going on my personal experience of seeing a Shinko 705 (which is an 80/20 tire so it's NOT a knobby) chunk during highway use on a KLR650. That's something I've NEVER personally seen happen to ANY other brand of tire.

Tread separation is sure not unique to Shinko though; check out this recall issued today!

May have been a bad batch man. Did shinko atleast back it up or help you out?

The only tires i ever had chunk were kenda'S back in motocross, but they were a sponsor (50%off was so nice) so they just replaced them free of charge when they chunked.

Did shinko atleast back it up or help you out?
    It was a riding buddy of mine & I'm not sure how he resolved it with the manufacturer or seller.

The Shinko 700s I ran on a little KLX250 would develop small hairline cracks around the bases of the tread blocks, but they never actually chunked or separated.

Everyone calling them stinko's needs to re-examine themselves. Captain Chaos is quite right. I have also run Shinkos (raven 009's) on much more powerful, and faster japanese bikes and have done some serious cornering. No chicken strips.
    As far as i can say, go with the shinkos man. These guys dogging them aren't going to the track or pushing their bikes to the limit. I have pushed my bikes to the limit while they were wearing these cheaper tires and had great results.

bottom line: know your limitations and those of your motorcycle. only ride inside your ability.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast