Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handlebar vibrations

Guys, I've got the same problem exactly, only I have never even thought it was related to vibrations.. and I still don't. I'm still trying to figure out the best solution, but the main factors which lead to my hand being numb seem to be: my right glove(at my wrist) starts to cut off the circulation from the angle of my wrist when I'm on long rides and basically resting my upper body weight on my bars, and also related to resting my weight on my grips, it seems to force all the blood out of my palm and disallow blood circulation. My fixes so far have been un-doing the velcro on my glove or loosening my grip and not putting so much pressure on the outside portion of my palm..

But then again.. why is it only our right hands?? I don't do any clutching on the highway to keep the blood going in my left.. soo..

maybe buell needs to do some more research.. If you buell R&D guys are reading this.. I'll happily be a test pig

your right hand goes numb because your holding on to tight & your set up is wrong, it has nothing to do with vibrations. it happens on all bikes.
    try adjusting your levers down to make them more comfortable and then look into getting a wrist support for the throttle and clutch side. it locks on the grips and then your wrist helps your hands hold on. it takes almost all pressure off the muscles that help you hold/ twist the throttle. its sort of a cheater. good for long trips but not for ripping around.
    research done please feel free to donate to my research :)

i dont agree on the holding on too tight, once i get to speed, i pretty much just rest my hand on the grip and it still gets tingly. But i will try the repositionsning the levers trick and see if that helps any.

Generally speaking, one should never grip too tightly on the handlebars anyway, it lessens the feedback from the front end. This is very important in preventing a 'tankslapper', the harder you grip the worse the headshake becomes. additionally, strengthening your stomach muscles by not leaning on your hands while riding improves both your fitness and knowledge of what your front end is telling you. Nick Iaenatch has a fantastic book on techniques of sportriding. I'm new to the sportbike scene (ex-Harley guy) and I always ribbed my GSXR buddies about the uncomfortable riding position. But honestly, I'm more comfortable on my XB12R than I was on my forward control Harley with straight bars on risers. Riding is a sport (and sportbike riding is REALLY a sport) and as such it provides excercise. Keep your arms bent at all costs and you'll find more comfort and control. Happy to be a Buell convert.

Are you short? I ask because I'm 6'2", so I'm tall enough to relax my elbows. That takes a lot of stress off your wrists and hands. Also, what tbramich was saying about a wrist support, I have a throttle boss brand support, and I think another one is called a throttle jocky. That may help you search.

just got some new grips, Traction grips from buell. was like 17 bucks but its been raining too much to try them. parts guys at my local hd/buell dealler recommended them says everyone he rides with has switched to them cause they cut down on the vibrations. hope to get a ride in tomorrow to see if they help any

well they work some, but still havent been out at highway speeds. I am thinking about ditching the Joe Rocket gloves and getting a pair of work gloves designed for use with impact tools, they have cushioned palms but not as extreme as the Joe Rocket gel riding gloves.

You could also try bar end weights/sliders such as those from www.HVMP.com ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12