Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed wobble when I get on the throttle..HELP

Today as I was riding on the highway I gave it some juice and took off. Was going maybe 60 at the time and sped up to about 90 real quick. I could feel the front end getting a little speed wobble. I let off and it was fine but then gassed it again and same thing. I havent had the bike too long. Just bought it in the fall and this was the first time I gave it WOT on the highway. Any thoughts why it would shake? I just had the 5,000 mile check up about 2 weeks ago and have brand new tires on it.

Kind of scared me a little that it was shaking. It wasn't horrible but still I think if I kept on the throttle it would have gotten worse but maybe not.

thoughts...opinions???

Brand new tires, did you have them balanced as well? It can make a big difference to high speed stability. Also, even with the low mileage, check your wheel and steering head bearings. Any wear or maladjustment in preload can affect the way it handles.
    Hope that helps.

I've piped up about this before. What is a "speed wobble"? As I understand, it's when your bars go lock to lock around 5 times a second. I do not think you are experiencing a speed wobble. I have felt the front end shake a bit on several bikes when hard on the throttle when it gets light and moves around a bit, usually over bumps. Again, Not a speed wobble.
    Anyway, just my 2 cents. Wayne

As ridendude said, it is most likely a balance problem or steering head bearing issue. Has the bike been sitting in one spot for a while, ie over winter, tires can take a set with constant pressure in one location and affect the inner construction of the tire.
    Just my 2 cents
    Later

Might check up on your suspension settings if you can't find anything else causing it. The bike may be "squating" the back, making the front go light when you gas it real hard. Maybe bump the preload up one setting or adjust the compression.

I am finding the same thing, I just tried the preload up 2 notches and it seemed a bit better I was going to try turning the rear compression up a little too I will let you know how that works for me.

You probably weren't experiencing the "tank slapper" speed wobble everybody talks about however the one time I had a tank slapper which busted out my steering stops was when I ignored the little wobble I had it escalated very quick!

This has happened to me before on a road that wasn't too smooth. I just learned not to go fast on a bad road.

Have you checked to see if your adjustments are the same on both sides of your forks? Just A thought.

for my own information, can a steering damper help with this, or with true lock-to-lock wobble?

i have the shake, or what i call tremors at high speed and im almost convinced that it needs a stabilizer. the balance, and front to rear weight ratio are very sensitive to your suspension settings. i agree that it isnt a speed wobble or you'd need depends instead of a helmet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast