Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 XB12 Pistons, stock or aftermarket?

I chipped the bottom edge of one of my pistons wile working on the bike the other day. It's a $100 fix if I go stock. Not liking how easily the stock piston broke I'm considering replacing both with better ones. If I'm over thinking this feel free to say so' if not give your educated opinion... Stock bore and compression only! :(

I've never messed with pistons, but I wouldn't think that they should break easily...then again, depending on how it fell and landed (I'm assuming it fell) it is possible to chip it.

There's a few aftermarket options available, all of which are likely lighter and possibly stronger than stock. I don't know the cost in comparison to stock, but if I do one (even stock) I'd do both.

I plan on doing both. It broke when I was turning the crank to get top dead center to remove the rear head. The crank spun on me when the weight of the rods on down stroke took off and smacked the edge of the cyl on the case. no damage to anything but the piston.
    Note to self...
    Take off the piston before working on the next head...
    I hope I never have to do this again but I have a rod bearing failure that is getting fixed by a good local shop plus a serious once over of all internals. I don't have the space, patients, money or the 50+ specialty tools to do crank work. She'll be better than new when done. Keeping the cost down by taking it apart and giving them the bottom end only.. HD wanted the hole bike and said $3500 for starters could be in my future. Now that's some BS!

Forgot to mention I'm getting the primary cover and oil pump housing powder coated to match the frame in the graphite...

The stock piston will be fine. They are fragile pieces for the most part. IIRC, they (stock) are hypereutectic pistons. No need to re-engineer the wheel here. Now....MAYBE someone like Hammer or Rev has an aftermarket for less money, IDK. You may want to have a machine shop run a ball hone thru the cylinders. Wash them real good when you get them back. Ride it like a 'new' bike for about 3-500 miles and you'll be good.

HD wanted the hole bike and said $3500 for starters could be in my future. Now that's some BS!
    Have a Suzuki shop price out what it costs to do a blowed up 750 Gixxer! May as well buy a new bike! Bike had less than 6K on it...one cam follower bucket shattered, (and it was a KNOWN issue). They told him to buy a junkyard engine. Talk about BS........

big end or wrist pin end failure?

neither is too common. would also inspect oil pump while its apart

neither is too common. would also inspect oil pump while its apart

Great advise. Somehow clean the swingarm, lines and cooler as well. I'd think this is common knowledge, but I had better mention it. There WILL be metal in there that must be cleaned up or you wind up pumping it all back through what you've just done. Yes....there's a filter...but! It has to go through the pump and all before it GETS to the filter!

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket pistons unless there was at least a compression increase. Unless they are close in price and forged.

Use a 9 piston :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast