Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: addition...older buell or Ducati?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/4729766725.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4699798255.html

i really like the monster...but the buell is cool and close!

I would be interested in the ducati if it were more than a 750. That motor is anemic at best. I'd goold buell any day of the week. If the duc had been a 900 it'd be a bit closer.

Tubeframe buells are absolutely awesome. Buell over the ducati.

Buell. The Duc is underpowered with that displacement. That's why they made the 8 or whatever it is.

Ducati :D

Ducati is very cheap, I honestly have never owned or worked on one. Is this a desmodronic valved engine? Even at that from what ive seen those arent too difficult to set the valves on either.

I owned one Ducati and am far from an expert. I like Ducatis. I own a Buell instead of a Ducati now because in my perception, the routine, Buell engine maintenance is easier than on the Ducati, the valve-adjustment being the thing that separates the two.

Four-valve (Desmoquatro) Ducatis are more labor intensive than two-valve regarding valve-adjustment. I'm going to assume the Duc you're looking at is a two-valve. Perhaps the valve adjustment is fairly easy, but it will take you time to perform. If you have the time (or $ to pay someone to do it for you), not an issue then.

The Buell valves are in effect 'self-adjusting'.

From what I've read the Ducati valves 'settle in' after 20K miles give or take a few thousand. That is, frequent valve adjustments become less likely to be required during every maintenance period, after an initial 'wear-in'/seating…but you still need to check about every 6K.

The other issue I didn't like with desmoquatro Ducs is the timing belt replacement requirement. On mine (a 99) it was every 6K miles, or every two years, whichever came first. The belts are not real expensive, and the procedure to replace one is not difficult. But once again, your time is involved. If you're the type who likes 'tinkering' with your bike, the Duc might not be a bad choice. For a guy like me, who's done his tinkering and would rather have someone else do the futzing-around, the Duc is a non-starter.

Follow up on this and decide for yourself as I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But unless you enjoy tinkering on your bike periodically or have a competent Duc mechanic nearby and $ to spend on maintenance, I'd shy away from a Duc.

All bikes have their quirks. Any bike is ok, so long as you're willing to deal with its particular character and needs.

Much as I love the looks of Ducatis, the way they sound, etc., for me the Buell meets or exceeds in all areas (I have an XB9S) with the added benefit of requiring less from me to keep in good running condition.

Alan

…there is also an issue with the valve rockers on certain Ducs. My 99 Desmoquatro fell into this category. The chrome flakes off the contact surface of the rocker-arm. I'm not sure what years this affected, whether it was only 4-valve engines, or if the 2-valve models were an issue, too. There are after-market rockers that don't have the issue. But they're not cheap. Another thing to check up on…

Alan

That's really just a preference. That Monster should be around 60 HP when new. It would also need valve check frequently. I'm not sure off hand but somewhere in the neighborhood of every 5k.

Every Ducati ever made since the late 60's has the Desmo valve drive train. Some are 2v some 4v. The main difference between Desmo any anything else is it doesn't use valve springs. It was originally used to increase rpm in the old days (late 1800's-early 1900's) when valve springs were prone to float at high RPM, or break. It wasn't invented by Ducati, rather adopted. IMO it's a novelty Ducati sticks to as part if it brand. It works great, and has a unique sound, but it serves no real advantage today.

It uses a rocker to open the valve and a seperate rocker to close the valve. Each valve has a cam lobe and rocker to open, and a seprate cam lobe and rocker to close. That's all that makes adjustments more critical, and a bit more labor intensive... more to adjust and it all needs to orchestrate in a precise manner. It operates like this animation. It shouldn't scare any one off. But it does need more attention than most designs.

I would say parts will be much easier to get and cheaper for the Buell. But the Monster is priced well. I'd inguire about maintance records for it if you were interested. It should have had the valves at least checked 3x's.

Im not worried about the extra work. Ill do it myself and it will be a second bike anyway. I like the look of the duc and the older buells look nice and im told they are more fun to ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast