Thread: Painters, advice.

Ok looking to paint an air box, I have some minor experience mainly spraying gel coat. Never done plastic.

So tips on type of paint and where to get, prep of the plastic, what should could I add to make it flexible for plastic, how many layers?

Goal is black with a red air brush on top then clear coat.
    I have multiple MAC HVLP guns, pressure regulators and filters. So equipment is there.

I used what I think was bulldog plastic adhesive/primer on the engine cover in my Silverado and it worked great I just followed the steps on the back of the can. Used regular hvlp gun!

Where did you get it from?

? Just so happened a guy I knew had some! I would think any paint store though.

auto zone or automotive store will have it in the paint section may not be the same brand but will have something like it

I've had good luck painting plastics. I've followed a guide put out by SEM, a paint and finish manufacturer. Go here Click on the one for "bumper repair and refinishing". Its a PDF download containing plastic repairs of all kinds, and refinishing. Very informative and lists everything you need and then some.

Its all in the prep mate. Take your time and do it right. Lightly scuff the finish using some steel wool or fine grit paper, just enough to where it loses its sheen. Wash it off real good using dish detergent or alcohol. If you use detergent just make sure you get it rinsed off really well. After she's good and dry hit her with some quality adhesion promoter, you can find it at any automotive shop hell wal mart probably even has it.

As for the paint itself not sure what you're going for but a good finish can even be had with aerosol cans if you take your time and do it right. Just make sure the finish wont degrade if you would happen to spill gasoline or some other fluid on it. Taking that into account, I would suggest any quality automotive paint. DuPont is usually readily accessible and generally have whatever you need available.

When applying the finish, ESPECIALLY THE CLEAR COAT, less is more. Take it one thin coat at a time. Thick coats can come out cloudy and blotchy. Not so much a big deal seeing as you are doing a black base. Keep your spray at a consistent distance and stroke. The real appearance of a good paint job is in the top layer. Wet sanding is your friend.

Best advice I can give you? Practice on something else first. The good thing about using a black base is that if you do mess it up, just sand it back a bit and black over it :D

This was all done with spray paint.

That's a killer rattle can job!

For you rattle can guys check out Stevenson paint and supply. They sell House of Kolor mixed paints in good quality spray cans. I used them lots of times before I got a compressor and spray gun. The amount of colors available will make your head spin....