Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No spark !

Hey guys, i'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2006 Lightning XB12scg and on a recent ride the bike just died. Turns over but no spark. Here is what i've done so far. The battery was on its way out so i replaced it first off. Then, changed the coil and both wires, now most recently changed the cam sensor (or ignition sensor as some call it) Still no spark. It had a Buell race ECM in it when I got it so for a long shot, we took that out and put the factory one back in...still no spark. What else could it be ? I can't afford to keep throwing money at it. Any help is appreciated

BAS, bank angle sensor

You didn't mention any diagnostics you have tried. So I'll start from scratch.

Unplug the 3 wire connector going to your ignition coil. The middle wire (grey) should have battery voltage on it with the key on, run switch set to run. Test between the grey wire and your battery ground. Do you have battery voltage? If not check your fuses and relays.

If you do have power on the grey wire now test for a trigger signal. The two outside wires on your ignition coil plug get grounded by the ecm to trigger spark (The cam sensor tells the ecm when to ground them). One is for your front cylinder, the other outside wire for the rear. Put your test light between the center wire and one outside wire. Crank over bike, your test light should flicker. Then between the center and other outside wire. Repeat. Does it flicker on both tests?

Start there to narrow it down.

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll follow the procedure you just described and see what I get. I'll let you know. Appreciate the help.How can I check the bank angle sensor and where is it ? Another odd thing the bike is doing now is as soon as I turn the key on to start it, the fan comes on

The BAS is in different spots on different bikes. You will test it when you check for the test light flicker.

Do those tests and report your results. We'll walk you through it.

Ok will do, thanks a lot

Inactive
    nicholas diagnosis and suggestions above excellent! BAS should be under seat on your lightning. little black box with BAS moulded into outer shell and arrow pointing up. ecmspy will store trouble code and usually light CEL if that component is faulty. in addition to above do this simple test:
    do you have fuel? remove front plug(easiest) and see if it is damp.
    reattach plug wire to plug....ground plug...crank. spark? if so you have fouled plugs. if not it is coil or ecm or fuse or relay. check all fuses and your 3 relays.

I just talked to the guy at the bike shop, he said he is getting 12V to the coil and it is getting fuel. Is the bank angle sensor something that can just be bypassed for now to take it out of the equation ? I told him to do the test light procedure as Nicholas suggested too

I think you can just unplug the BAS and see if it'll run, but a CEL will show up. If that is the problem you can disable it using ECM spy or get a new one after diagnosis.

It looks like this

Ok, thanks. Maybe we'll just try unplugging it and see if it will start. Could the odd thing the fan is doing have anything to do with the problem ? Like I said, ever since it quit running, the fan comes on as soon as I turn the key on. It never did that when it ran. It only came on after riding and shutting it off, then the fan would come on for a few minutes and shut off. One time it was even "pulsing" on and off like every second

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast