Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: High Mileage, Need Opinions.

Can you get the covers off if you just remove the whole air clear box (tank shell, filter cover, and bottom plate)? What did you have to do to get access? I have garage to work on it in and tools and patience. As long as it isn't a tongue in cheek/pray to god you don't f**k it up kind of thing. I had replaced the gaskets on my M2 Cyclone and I was able to do it by simply taking the fuel tank off.

cknapp here you go http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...ine-With-Pics!

FYI you can find pretty much any topic by searching google with buellxb.com then whatever your heart desires to learn about.

example: google search: buellxb.com engine rotate DIY and the first link is what I posted here.

Inactive
    Can you get the covers off if you just remove the whole air clear box (tank shell, filter cover, and bottom plate)? What did you have to do to get access?

no sir.
    you must "rotate" the motor assembly to install any top end gaskets including rocker cover gaskets.

Holy **** I hope there is a shortcut to that procedure. You tear apart half the bike! That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    Holy **** I hope there is a shortcut to that procedure. You tear apart half the bike! That's ridiculous.
    It's really not that bad... if you do go in for rocker box gaskets make sure to change intake gaskets and the breathers out as they also start to leak and if you think it's stupid to rotate for the top of the box guess what? Same procedure for those little breathers...

Also someone mentioned rotating for spark plugs in this thread, that is crazy all that is needed is air box bottom off and left side scoop. Box/open wrench on the front plug and wobble/extension for the rear it's like a 5min or less job. NGK DCPR9EIX are the plug of choice for XB's
    Last edited by lowkey; 04-10-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Breathers? Yes I'll keep that in mind if I end up needing to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by cknapp View Post
    Breathers? Yes I'll keep that in mind if I end up needing to do that.
    These
    http://twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/ar...C&mc=1&aid=502

Also I like looking up parts on Twinmotorcycles first before I buy in the states as they have the part diagram or an actual picture of what you are getting where as newcastle or surdyke only show the P/N and book name of the parts. This way if you need say crush washers, O-rings, or some special bolt you will know to order it as well

Wow. It's been a while since an update.

Turned out to be quite a bit more than a rocker seal. It ended up being one of the head gaskets right under the header outlet on the rear cylinder.

Had the bike taken apart for a while, used a seal kit and redid all of them, had the cylinders/pistons cleaned, new rings, cylinders honed and the fine folks at Moto Enthusiasts in Vista, CA helped me out with final assembly and any repairs that needed to be done. I can't thank them enough for their help and expertise with these bikes.

The bike runs like new now and has already been on a few trips through the southwestern states. Look forward to another 60K+ miles on this one.

Pic from a ride not too long ago with my father.
    IMG_20161228_115654150.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy Zero View Post
    Wow. It's been a while since an update.

Turned out to be quite a bit more than a rocker seal. It ended up being one of the head gaskets right under the header outlet on the rear cylinder.

Had the bike taken apart for a while, used a seal kit and redid all of them, had the cylinders/pistons cleaned, new rings, cylinders honed and the fine folks at Moto Enthusiasts in Vista, CA helped me out with final assembly and any repairs that needed to be done. I can't thank them enough for their help and expertise with these bikes.

The bike runs like new now and has already been on a few trips through the southwestern states. Look forward to another 60K+ miles on this one.

Pic from a ride not too long ago with my father.
    IMG_20161228_115654150.jpg
    Awesome that you got the bike all fixed up! Definitely a keeper for another 60k. Mine is sitting around 32k now and hearing stories of the mileage guys are getting with these bike before any major repair is encouraging! Sounds like you are on your way to the 100k mile club!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345