Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown head gasket??

I have only owned it for over a month it has 10k miles and I have not driven it hard. Is this a blown head gasket?

nope, it's herpes

Damn that made me laugh:D

That doesn't help any.. I have only done major work to cars so have no idea.

Thats a base gasket. Head gasket is above the cylinder. Yes the jug has to come off. It doesnt look like that bad of a leak??

Thats the cylinder base gasket, and its hard to tell from that picture what that is. Clean up the bike really well and trace where the leak is coming from. Also, if a gasket is failing, the compression should reflect that. Have you checked the compression?

All in all if you need to replace it I wouldn't sweat it too much. The Blast is quite simple and straightforward in design and very accessible. The only pain would be having to replace all the gaskets in between all the layers.

I agree with Stang - if its not bad, and compression good, don't sweat it. Blasts are tanks, with the exception of the boot and the front motor mount.

I can see it leak when its running nothing literally leaks down the side just gasses and a little fluid. And ill check the compression tonight.

Definitely a base gasket leak. The compression loss will be minimal since the leak is below where combustion actually takes place. It is mostly sealed off by the piston rings.
    The repair is pretty straight forward, I believe there is a section in the service manual that tells you how to rotate the motor sideways to do the job. For someone with moderate ability, the whole job can be done in 5 hours or less.

Rotate the motor sideways? Please explain.

On second thought, you might want to just run it for now. As Bullxb12r pointed out, in order for compression to be effected you would have to have a major failure in the base gasket. You might be better off leaving it until a rainy day.

You would have to pull the piston from the cylinder and if you are going to do that, it might be a good idea just to replace the rings. My theory is that if you go that deep, you don't want to go back in anytime soon if you don't have to. So then it would require new engine gaskets, perhaps new rings.

Ok sounds good. I was thinking the nrhs big bore kit if I decide to change it.
    Thanks for the correct information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast