Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about buying my neighbors '09 1125R

Superb looking bike. All stock and garage kept. Guy is about 50 years old and has put on 6000 very easy miles. What should I look for that might be a problem.

Find out if the charging rotor has been updated with a oiling rotor, And check for signs of clutch weep. The 09's were somewhat notorious for burning up stators without a updated rotor that EBR sells.

Cosworth is correct. Do your Homework first. With the parts and the Problems. and It pains me to say this I hear the BOOOs from here.
    .If you need it for Transportation then NO do not buy it.
    Go Get a Dependable CBR or other. Sorry to say that we Buellers are . having in some areas of the Country having to jump here and there to get parts that will keep it Two Wheels Up.
    IF you are a Good Mechanic then By all means best of Luck. You can always use this Forum and Study up so as to be able to own one. *JIMI

EBR sells the fix for $450. Just buy it and have fun

Stator seems to be the issue...after that has been addressed, it would be as reliable as an XB. I'm sure there will be other issues, but what bike doesn't.

As for parts, if you search for the most part google by part numbers, you'll find what you need.

newcasltlehd.com
    surdyke.com
    LSHD1.com
    Buellsterparts.com
    buellparts.net
    chicagoharleydavidson.com
    kutterharleydavidson.com
    latusharleydavidson.com
    stpaulharleydavidson.com
    ironmachine.com
    Americansportbike.com
    twinmotorcycles.com
    ebay
    pinwall cycles...on ebay or directly by adding .com

and I'm sure there are more resources for parts out there, do some research, in the end it's your call, I've had my '03 Lightning for 8-1/2 years, shy of 68k miles and don't have issues in finding parts to keep her on the road if this helps you any. There's guys out there with tubers, yes they may have a slight hard time in getting some parts, but somehow they manage to find parts and keep the bikes on the road. Just my 2 cents...

Do it. Very dependable. My daily rider. I clocked 32,000 on mine. As stated, owning any bike will require maintenance. That is a very well built motor. But if you don't like to wrench and don't have the cash too( Harley parts are expensive) then run. Still go over occasionally to look though and ask him to fire it up. They sound amazing. Stator, clutch weep, and eventually the sprag( might not go out on you). All three can be fixed from home with little in specialty tools ( some members rent the crank lock tool for the sprag and stator job) Resale may be difficult depending on what part of the country your in too. Lots to think about. Oh, you will want the EBR ECM stock or with a pipe. It helps make the bike a little smoother.

To be slightly more accurate.
    the crank locking tool is not needed to replace the stator, its currently only available through twin motorcycles. The tool is required to change the rotor which is the root cause to the stator failure. Changing a rotors besides the crank locking tool, requires a 3/4" torque wrench or heavy duty 1/2" torque wrench to put 300 ft/lbs of force to the rotor nut (same for the sprag clutch a one way bearing connected to the rotor for starting)

Whatever. You should upgrade the rotor when getting a new stator for cooling purposes. So yes, the tool is needed.

And you can get the tool from a member on badweb who is currently having them made. Last I checked they were around $100. I believe Shawns was making them available.

Yep..Still have a few, cheaper for members. Let me know. Once you get it changed ride it and love it.:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast