Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: xb9r > streetfighter build

HI everyone, I decided to start my own thread instead of posting in the firebolt seat mods thread.

I bought my dads 03 9r which is essentially stock other than a race kit and some custom frame sliders.

Plans

New subframe and seat

new headlight

new top triple to run clipons on top of the triple

new rearsets

new stepped exhaust with x pipe and twin mufflers

thats about it, nothing major

Rough mock up

Toying with the idea of making a new top triple that will accommodate the use of clipons above it. I'd like the bars to be about an inch and a half higher since the seat is. The bike was really comfortable stock.

Transferring the tapped hole on the lower triple to the other side so I can use it for a headlight mount.

I'll be building a new right side air scoop to cool the rear cylinder, but that comes after the new exhaust.

Fine tuning my top triple design.

Mock up subframe cut from steel to verify it's exactly how I want it. Then I'll cut the real one out of aluminum.

Getting the subframe bent into shape

Subframe bent up

Relocating all my electronics to the airbox area. I had to drop the front of the motor to fish the fuse boxes and wiring between the cylinder head and frame. The fuse box, relay box and ecu are all in the front fairing stock.

Decided to knock out a quick mock up triple. I'd hate to spend a lot of time building a nice triple only to not have it fit. My fork center to center spacing and offset are spot on. Now to make the real one.

you clearly have some nice resources available. Interested in how this turns out. What are those custom frame pucks you have? They look different to say the least.

My dad built the sliders in 2003 when nothing else was avalable. He did track days on the bike and wanted to protect the vulnerable frame. I'm not sure if they are going or staying at this point.

Nice work! I especially love the CNC stuff. That's true custom stuff right there!
    Did you have to do anything to your wire harness, other than just tug and pull, to move your electronics?
    I'm thinking of changing up the front end on my bolt but all that electronic junk sure is an obstacle

I have not had to modify the wiring harness yet. I plan on deleting the clutch and side stand switches. I took pictures of the fuse and relay boxes then stripped them down to make them smaller. It's a tight fit but it's doable.

EBR makes a triple that looks exactly like your design. Might want to look into it but I'm sure you can make one.

These skills & tools are not available to everyone, nice to see how it's coming along.

Ah cool thanks for the info. The reason I'm building a new top triple is so I can put conventional clip ons above the triple instead of under. The stock flat triple doesn't leave enough fork tube sticking through to clamp the clipons to. The triple will mimic the lower triple where the center is higher and the fork clamp sections are lower.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast