Thread: voltage regulator or stator? Or both?

Well I was riding at about 50mph and my engine light comes on. I come to a red light and at idle when my dashboard completely shut off, then the bike started to chug and then died. Dead battery and wouldn't start back up unitl I got a jump, then same thing happened down the road. I got it home, checked the voltage after just starting the bike and it was below 13 volts, and dropping petty fast and eventually died. ive heard about checking with the volt meter the plug that goes to the stator and vr but don't know where and how? Any help appreciated on what to do and how to check and what numbers they should be at. oh and the battery is brand new 150$.

When mine did that it was the stator changed it rode great for 15k miles until vr went out no problems since! Their are specific test you can do at home with a multimeter, just don't know the combination of wires to test off hand!

I have a stator for sale if your interested pm me

alright thanks that gives me the idea that it probably is that!

Inactive
    are you asking how to properly check the charging system and all 3 components?

stamen is a long-time board member....very honest and reliable...and a great guy to deal with if you go that route.

Thanks John.

@Illightning08 Also check this connector http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...838/639912.jpg "77 connector" Mine wasn't fully plugged in and I was noticing on my aftermarket voltage gauge that the system voltage was dropping on my way to work. I thought it was my VR or stator, but I checked my connector for internal damage from resistance and melting (there was non) and I cleaned it with electrical cleaner. Then I noticed that with the bike running on the stands if I press the two ends together the voltage jumped up to14.2V meaning it was charging and when I let go it dropped slightly, so bad connection. I ran two zip ties across the connector length-wise and tightened them down to keep good contact between the pins. Not suggesting you to do that as a perm. solution, but just saying you should check the connectors first (cheaper than buying parts right away). There is also an upgraded connector you can buy from americansportbike.com.

If it's not the connector you should fully diagnose your electrical system like lunaticfringe suggested. It's not difficult all you need is a volt meter and a manual or google.

Thanks John.

@Illightning08 Also check this connector http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...838/639912.jpg "77 connector" Mine wasn't fully plugged in and I was noticing on my aftermarket voltage gauge that the system voltage was dropping on my way to work. I thought it was my VR or stator, but I checked my connector for internal damage from resistance and melting (there was non) and I cleaned it with electrical cleaner. Then I noticed that with the bike running on the stands if I press the two ends together the voltage jumped up to14.2V meaning it was charging and when I let go it dropped slightly, so bad connection. I ran two zip ties across the connector length-wise and tightened them down to keep good contact between the pins. Not suggesting you to do that as a perm. solution, but just saying you should check the connectors first (cheaper than buying parts right away). There is also an upgraded connector you can buy from americansportbike.com.

If it's not the connector you should fully diagnose your electrical system like lunaticfringe suggested. It's not difficult all you need is a volt meter.

sorry for the double post. Slow internet at work