Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulysses Buying Tips

I am getting to a point where I am seriously considering a Ulysses around January. There are a number of these for sale locally and this forum in part with Badweather has helped me narrow down the quirks of this bike to a year and setup that would match my needs. I also have a coworker with a 2007 that is well past 50k on the odometer on his, with a lot of good experience maintaining them. I want this bike to keep mileage off my truck as I head into 2015 with the goal of hiking all 58 of the 14,000 foot mountains in Colorado. Duties include solo runs and 2 up riding with my wife as we bag these peaks. I also have a 2009 1125cr that has been bought and paid for these past three years so I am familiar with the brand. Prior to that, I had an S1.

I have narrowed it down to an 08/09 Ulysses with full bags and less than 13-15k miles. What else should I consider when buying this bike? There is a nice XT for sale locally but I am concerned it might be too road oriented for some of the mining roads and trail heads I plan to travel to.

Thanks.

Get an X, 09. aesthetically more pleasing in my opinion with the black frame & motors. Pretty hard to find though.

Few early 08 had electrical issues just as the 1125 did.
    Stators from the few owners I know with issues.

Lunatic, alien & a few others can chime in also as they've had several

If you pick up the xt, I'll trade you suspension,, wheels and pipe off my X. I'm in Vegas so either of us could make a road trip.

Inactive
    Lunatic, alien & a few others can chime in also as they've had several
    thanks jeff. you've owned quite a few yourself as well.

general: i don't know your location and just offering this up but i have 3 like-new super low mileage ulysses right now. i am selling off 2 of them. i'm in southern PA. can assist with shipping. i only mention this because any one of mine would give you something to compare price/mileage/condition to what yo are considering out your way.

Inactive
    this is what i was mentioning above

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any year. I've loved all 4 of mine.

The 09 X has been awesome, the only Buell I have owned and will always own. Would like to get another Buell, but will always own this one. Been solid except for the harness from the frame to fly screen when I bought the bike at 13K miles, broken wires. I think the 2008+ also has a tighter turning radius, which puts extra stress on the harness in the front so it is worth checking it out. Also the ECM connector under the seat was cracked when I bought it, since I relocated shortly afterward. Conisider a three Bearing rear wheel for two up riding and loaded down bags. Also just recently replaced the ECM with the latest flash and it seems to run better cold as well as charge the battery as well as my Cell phone in the power port faster? I have been off road 2 up on Texas flat dirt roads, but have saved my bacon on at least 3 occasions with the extra ground clearance of the X: Rolling over broken septic pipe, rear wheel fell in cracked ground in a pasture, also hit a 3.5 inch landscaping brick at 70 mph on HWY 635 in Dallas, each instance I was 2 up and sustained no injury or damage.

The 3 bearing rear wheel, and comfort kit are the best 2 upgrades to have in my opinion. 34k miles on my '08 XT and never any serious problems.

I am concerned it might be too road oriented for some of the mining roads and trail heads I plan to travel to.
    I think that's a valid concern, but as long as you're still on gravel twin-track, you should be fine.

On the other hand, if you plan to get into gnarlier single-track, or off-road entirely, you'll find the Uly too heavy, geared too tall, and with too large a turning radius for the task...

I agree with the above post, but there are some minor changes such as 190/50 rear tire has a lower & wider profile helps to lower the gear ratio, increase stability. Also the XB12X has deeper travel, not sure about the XT, I think there is about 6" front and rear travel. I am 5'7", 190lbs and I actually had better luck off-road 2 up and loaded down than by myself. I think the extra weight on the rear tire with the torque makes it like a tractor. Also can lighten or load the front tire easier with rear brake and engine torque. Just seems easier to keep things rolling along in loose, rocky, sandy, gravel, soil, when it is loaded down. The only time I have picked my Uly off the ground was by myself, it is a bitch to pick up. That was also before I ruptured a muscle catching my Uly before it fell on a gravel driveway when I was parking it. Not sure If I can pick it up a month later, maybe next year? The forks are very plush, came that way, seems to actually help on loose gravel roads as the front tire sticks well. There is a WADBR video of someone on a ULY on this site somewhere, pretty good video of the off-roadness of the ULY.
    I found the you tube link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZND9VpRUc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast