Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long can the parking lights be left on?

If I wanted to park the bike at night and leave the parking lights on, how long can I do that before I drain down the battery? I looked in the owner's manual, but they don't mention anything about it.

('03 xb9sl if it matters)

Inactive
    want to be sure???????
    charge battery fully
    disconnect negative cable
    get accurate voltmeter and install in series between neg. battery post and neg. cable. set meter to DC AMPS
    turn on parking lights
    read meter
    take meter reading and divide that # into the "amp hours capacity" listed on your battery. that # is approx. hours you can expect a fully charged good battery to live.
    that will give you a ball-park idea what to expect.

As long as your battery will hold a charge...... But, There are way to many variables... Just the rear light? Or do you have the center bulb in the headlight....? If you have a new harley battery it could last 6-8 hours or if you have a deep cycle gel battery it could last 12-14 hours.

The best thing is to just try it..... Worst case scenario you will have to jump the bike.... Or bump start it.

Semantics really, but a voltmeter measures volts, an ammeter measures amps, and a multimeter can measure many things. DO NOT place a voltmeter is series - it won't measure what you need.

But lunatic's method will work. Just take into consideration that if the battery is older, being fully charge doesn't mean that it still is capable of doing the amp-hours it is rated for.

Parking lights are about 3 watts a piece, drawing around .25 amps. Do math :D

Cut them on, and see when they die!:p

Thanks guys...(except dis2k2, lol).
    With the time change here it gets dark for the last hour that I'm at work, and being in a busy part of the mall, parking is a premium. I was thinking of turning on my parking lights for the last hour so no one mistakenly thinks my bike is in an empty parking space.

So I guess the consensus is that an hour should okay?

Inactive
    Cut them on, and see when they die!
    if you have a sealed lead-acid or AGM battery i would not do this. discharging those style of batteries to the point where the lights are extremely dim or even go out completely typically dramatically shortens the battery life.

A batterys stored energy can be rated as Kwh (joules). volts x amp*h =Kwh. If you know the batt. voltage and its amp*h rating you can understand how much energy it has stored. Then all you need to do is understand how much power your lights will draw and divide the two numbers. This will tell you how many hours it will take to drain all of that stored energy in the batt. But remember a '12v lead-acid' battery is at 50% SOC (state of charge) around 12.3V.

Hope this helps

I would probably look into wiring in separate LED parking lights.

Yep LEDs are easier in the long run on your battery. Leaving the Parking light (Tail) is really for just maybe a Quick Lets Say 15/ minutes on that or you will over some time be replacing the Rear Tail light Lens and possibly the Socket and some wiring for sure.
    A Stock Battery in most Buells is 200 C C Amps
    Not really enough for doing what you may need for everyday use.
    You can also look into maybe an accessory light that is easy to just clip on. I have a Small Bicycle Light I use fits in the Prefect Spot Near the TAG, and it being a led is Bright and external Batteries that will not cause a possible breakdown.
    Never Jump Start your bike with a Diesel Truck most of them are Dual Battery and too much Volts OR C C amps for the Smaller Cold Cranking Amps of Bikes. If you ever need a Jump due to a Battery problem make sure the Vehicle is not Idling and just only a jump start and get the cables off QUICKLY. or If you have an 220 Cold Cranking Amps Battery.
    The Deka battery seems to last longer than most and is still made by HD/ lasts longer than the Stock Harley /Buell Battery. No one likes to be in a position for bike being hit especially in a MALL parking lot. Make sure to lock the wheel at the Disc Caliper. Good Luck. *Jimi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast