Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at a XB12S

I was looking for a 09-10 XB12SCG but might compromise for a 04 XB12S for a good deal ($3,599 15,000miles).

First off should I wait it out for what I want or go for the S and lower it and paint it?

Second, the dealer with the bike doesn't offer test rides, is this normal? Not my first bike, but first one I am looking at a dealer.

Also what should I look for on a 04 XB12S that I can't test ride? Other than obvious leaking seals, blown forks, broken parts, is there anything in particular?

That's fairly nice for a dealer price. Looks to have couple nice $ parts

I'd hold out, depending on where you are, someone will have a nice one for just a little more.

Your 09/10 search is best aesthetically pleasing but the bikes are essentially all the same across each model. 08+ give more options for heated grips or things of that nature where. 06+ & 08+ have better oiling, trans... Ect ect.

And no dealers usually dont let you test ride motorcycles, they usually say you can buy this one ride it off and if you don't like it we can put you on another bike!;) they do some times have demo days though!

Sometimes I fell like yoda..... Or just long winded....
    The questions you are asking you have to ask yourself..... Why did you want a 09-10 bike....? Because it's newer? Because of the color options? Or just because...
    Then why did you want a scg? Are you short? Do you like the lower look?

Okay. I'll give you my option... Sit on the bike and see if you like the feel... And for the price from a dealer it's not bad at all.
    I can tell by the picture it's a solid flat lander bike.... Check two things front motor mount and look to see how banged up the bottom of the muffler is...

Other then that maybe you'll want to change the oil pump gear for peace of mind... But other then that you should be able to roll the **** out of the bike.

I myself am a fan of scg's but I'm 6'2..... I myself like the ride.... I look funny on it, kinda like a monkey f-caking a football.
    But I have owned all of the xb models and have had every year from 03-10

There are only small differences in the years. And the early xb models in my option are a better made bike.... A lot of people have not noticed that if you look a the quality of the machining from 03-05 then from 06-07 then 08-10
    Now some people will say they changed the swingarm to a better design, but in reality it was harley bringing the cost down (not having to pay brembo) and also to bring down the cost on the oil lines (braided to rubber in 06)
    They also wanted to extend the swingarm for the ully and Ss model

The oiling system is better on the newer models, but not good enough to say that it makes a real big deal... If you are on top of your oil changes then you will be in good shape.

Ok, now I'll tell you the same thing it tell everyone I sell a buell to, if you have never owned one. They are not a white knuckle bike more of a frame of mind... A lot of people will own them for about 1-2 years and then move on to a different bike...

So with that in mind, you might either want to hold out and buy the bike you think you want or buy this 2004 and ride it and if you like it and then want to go to a scg then sell it and buy a scg.

Yes, all valid points that I have done quite a bit of research to decide on what I really want.

I do want the 09-10 for the black frame, engine , forks, subframe....

I do want the SCG for the lower stance, I am 5'7" not super short but I like lowered vehicles, my shovel heads seat is about 19", my F150 is about 3" off the ground, 32 ford is on air bags, 2013 Mustang on air bags... I just like it low, I would probably even slip the forks of a SCG.

I do like the 06+ for the better looking swing arm, 100% just for looks

So yes, it is all for aesthetic reasons I want a 09-10 XB12SCG. but I have a hard time passing up this price. I would easily have to spend 1-2k more for what I want. For about $1000 I can change the forks and shock and paint the bike how I want it and live with the control arm.

This is just an impulse buy I had that fell through and trying to get something to have a little fun on. About 2 months ago I saw a 08 XB12SCG for $4500 and fell in love and when I got off work to go get it, it was gone. Been trying to find another SCG at minimum since, but they can be hard to find this time of year in Arizona. And my end goal is a CHEAP, fun, good looking bike to ride to work every once in a while. This bike would satisfy 2 of those 3 requirements and I can make it look how I want.

$650 in parts to lower...did the research just last week for my '03 9s.

See, I think at this price it is worth it to settle for the s.

Don't settle. Picked up my 09SCG for $4200 with 420 miles on it. Keep looking for what you want.

I would not hold out for that pipe dream^^^^^

Don't settle. Picked up my 09SCG for $4200 with 420 miles on it. Keep looking for what you want.
    That's a great deal, might just pick this up and if I find a killer deal like that I'll trade up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast