Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared and Alone - A Buell Nightmare

I bought my bike just over a month ago. It's a 2004 xb12r. I bought it for $3,900. I bought it from a private party in Prescott Valley Arizona(100 miles from home). On my ride home, my clutch completely went out on me. I ride the bike to a gas station in second gear. Bring it to Harley the next day to find out the Primary Cover was broken. There's a lip where the clutch ramp run to that sheered off. While it's there I have a complete service done to the bike. Plugs, wire, battery, oil and filter. Fork seals and all.
    On my ride home after getting the bike it died 5 miles from home. Turns out the Voltage Regulator went out. Replace that. 2 weeks go by and i'm noticing my clutch getting progressively worse. Last week I bring the beast in for another oil change and to have the clutch adjusted. I also order rocker box gaskets because I've noticed a new leak.
    Get the bike back, and it's friggin rad. I'm feeling on top of the world. Two days later the clutch is draggin HARD again.

Bring the bike back, the pull the primary off and remove the clutch basket and they see the friggin goblin. The lip of the inner case where the snap ring holds the transmission bearings is broke.. In it's place are holes from where three screws and washers were holding the bearsings in place.

Short story long, I need to complete rebuild the engine with new cases and bearings.

I will NEVER buy a motorcycle off of craigslist again. It's either douchey people on CL, or I'm a friggin jinx.

Down for the count,
    Eric

try to sell it ....dump it insurance job what ever it takes....for the money you spent and will spend you should be riding something new

I asked the service manager if I could bring in salvaged parts. But I guess since they're all "legitimate" that they can't put cases off of another bike onto mine because they're VIN specific.

Once new a guy (NOT ME!!) who crashed his street bike at the track. Put all the street junk back on it and pushed it out of the pickup on the way home. Called the police and guess what? They come upon a crashed bike, a guy in obvious pain with shredded gear who hit the ditch avoiding a deer. It's been 16 years since I left the track but the bench racing stories just keep going and going and.... Wayne

I need to hire ninjas to make it vanish.

Now thats just straight up bad luck! I bought a reconstructed '04 xb12r 6000 miles for $3,300 off a bike dealer on craigslist. (No history report what so ever, so I was gambling on a good deal) Bike has given me no problems! Runs like a champ and is faster than my brothers '08 or at least I like to think so :D

Dang, that's gangster.

I took the gamble and I lost, HARD. So now I want to go Jump Kick people all day.

Eric - Shadow Ninja

Man!! That does bit big. I have the same bike and I have never had a problem that I didnt cause myself. Had 9700 miles when I got it from a dealer that never even changed the oil in it.

****ty luck man. sorry to hear. I got my '04 XB12S off craiglist as well. Lucked out, been a fantastic bike. The owner worked @ the local harley shop, so it was reasonably maintained. 15000 km in 4 months and not a problem.
    Good luck in the future and hope you're not soured too bad.

I bought my '03 XB9R from Craigslist as well & got off to a really bad start too. I was riding it home from the guys house at night & after about 5 miles, the front brakes started pulsing really hard & then quickly began to LOCK up and stay locked.

This rocket scientist had improperly re-built the front master cylinder and the pressure releif valve was being closed off. Fortunately I had some visegrips with me & was able to crack the bleeder valve to relieve the pressure in the line. If not for that I would have been STUCK or could have wiped out pretty hard.

You do have to be really careful buying bikes off CL :)

It took a little while to fix most of the crap that this guy screwed up on the bike, but I'm really happy with it now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast