Thread: stator/ voltage regulaor one more again?

So guys here is the deal done all testing to eliminate issues, no help. Back story........ dead battery about 5 months ago, replaced. has been running fin right up until this last Friday. Rode the bike for approximately 45 min. cut it off, wont start back up. jumped it, ran for about 30-45 min died. no dimming of the lights, no sputtering or anything. got it to the house, battery dead one more again. tested 77 plug and vr plug both come out in normal ranges for voltage, right up until vr gets warm. then all hell breaks loose and no voltage readable. my suspicion is the vr is shot. please someone concur with my finding?

yep, sounds about right to me

Considering that it's an 07 with less than 10k on the clock. I'd say it's due more or less.

Inactive
    i would try the following and you'll need a very accurate digital meter to perform these tests. i am assuming your alternator(stator) is good as you stated you did all testing. as follows:
    fully charge battery...get some heat in the motor as you're looking for sufficient heat in the front cylinder and head. when accomplished and VR feels warm to the touch remove your seat with bike running. set meter to DC volts and check across the battery terminals. you should see something on the order of 13.1-14.2 volts DC @ approx. 2500rpm.

second test: a faulty VR will often times show a strong parasitic loss draining power from a static battery with bike at rest and key off. faulty VR will also often times short out the ignition relay which is in your fuse box. check for parasitic loss as follows: disconnect negative battery cable...key off...all components off. set meter to DC amps. place meter in series between negative batt. post and negative cable. if you see a reading of 0.25 or higher in all likelihood the VR is faulty.
    post back with results

Check the Stator output Independently from the Voltage Regulator. Most likely the VR is going out and the Stator will be next. The regulators on these Xb model bikes get heated up due to the placement.
    I extended the Regulator out 3/4 of an inch long ago on my 08 XB12R the Gel in the back is still like new 30 thousand miles later.
    Check your connections at the Regulator as well as the Battery.
    When jumping your bike be careful with that. You can fry many areas of wiring that will later on haunt you in repairs and sometimes parts when jumping a Bike from an Automobile.
    Make sure to get the jump ONLY with the other vehicle not running at all.Only charge your Bike battery with proper Battery Chargers.Small things first. *Jimi

I did the same as jimijeans and i used brake line tubing as a spacer and longer bolts to space the regulator away from the front jug so the back doesn't get the heat from the engine. It really helps a lot.