Thread: uly heated grip question

Hi all, So the left heated grip on my 08 uly dosent work. My question is.. What are my options? Do i have to find a buell grip or can I wire in an aftermarket one? Thanks!

you can use an aftermarket - grips/heating elements will wear out. we just had a big thread on heated grips/buell alternatives a week or two ago. Look there for options.

Ofc, I'd make sure that your left hand heat element connection is secure and test for power before replacing. If you go aftermarket, you can always trade the oem plug onto your replacement for a good fit.

Inactive
    ^^^^ mope correct on connection. it is behind flyscreen and check it prior to giving up on the factory grips. they traditionally have a very long lifespan. if you find that you must replace them check into BikeMaster heated grip kit. the Smith Powersports family sells complete kit on evilbay and amazon for $48 including freight. i've installed probably 20 sets on various buells thru the years and they work great...installation easy...wiring easy.. super good quality grip...super good quality controller. unbeatable price and quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BIKEMAST...27d9f8&vxp=mtr

So can I rewire the bikemaster heated grip to work in place of my stock one? Will the current controller run it? Or do I have to start all over?

no reason you cant wire them up to your existing controller, just two wires per each grip.

yea, you could just replace the left side if you wanted. you'd just need a pick to remove the OEM wires from the plug>replace with bikemaster wiring>and re-plug.
    Now, if you were a little OCD like me, having two different grips would drive you crazy :)

Instructions for OEM installation
    http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_us...ts/-j04491.pdf

Inactive
    So can I rewire the bikemaster heated grip to work in place of my stock one?
    yes, your stock uly grip controller is in your right side switchgear and is a 3-dot position slide switch. far right is off....middle is low on....far left is high on. each of your stock grips has a 2 wire sheath going to it. one is negative and other positive though i don't recall the color code but in this instance it doesn't matter. do NOT touch any of the wires coming from the switchgear controller or relay. what you will do is install the bikemaster grips....run the 2 wire sheath from each new grip to the 2 wire sheath that was attached to each old factory grip...make the connections...and viola.....heat!

Thanks guys! Now im off to buy some grips!

Hi guys,

I am also having problem with one handlebar. Mine though has 3 wires going to it, while the aftermarket ones seem to have 2 - how would I go about that?

Thank you!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Yan View Post
    Hi guys,

I am also having problem with one handlebar. Mine though has 3 wires going to it, while the aftermarket ones seem to have 2 - how would I go about that?

Thank you!
    yan: answered your PM to me re. this. your OEM controller is at fault. read PM. explains fixes/alternate grips.