Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding the Livewire tomorrow

Demo ride 9am before work. Should be fun. I got on the one strapped to a rolling road to get a feel for the controls and the size (it's a skinny bike compared to the xb). Talked to one of the staff, and in the morning we're going to try to get a shot of it next to my '03 xb9s for comparison.

Oh, and I WILL be repping Buell the whole time. :)

U lucky. I signed up when they were in our area but never got the call. 😞

U lucky.
    It was just luck. I actually didn't know they were coming to Jax until last night. I worked a half day, then went to the dealer. They have a standby list, so if a registered person isn't there for their slot when it's time to go, someone else can jump in. I would have gone today, but they only had a few rides left and everyone was already there. They had a handful of spots still available for Friday. Saturday was obviously booked up, but I am free Friday morning, so it works out fine. :)

I find it funny that they market this bike to new riders. Quite, clean, friendly but deceptively quick. Sounds like a good formula to get a new rider in a lot of trouble.

I find it funny that they can 'invest' all the time, money and effort into this 'project', but dropped Erik Buell. Does this not go against their 'heritage'? Lol! Amazing how companies can put people with NO clue, n the ultimate position of power. (Think Sears Roebuck Co., J.C. Penny, and even some auto mfg'r over the years). H/D's decision to drop Buell won't 'hurt' them per se' like some of these others, but still....you HAVE to wonder............

Sorry, I've been off the website for a few days. I got some shots of the Livewire, but did not get a chance to line it up with the Buell - there were too many other people present, and it would have started everyone asking for the same thing.
    The ride was good. There were parts of the bike I liked, and parts I didn't.
    The Good:
    Power delivery was very smooth.
    Obviously, without clutch and shifter to worry about, it would be great for new riders.
    Size. It fit about the same as my '03 xb9sl (or newer scg). Seat seemed a little taller, but the bike was skinnier
    so planting my feet was the same.
    The sound - the turbine sound was kind of cool to me.
    The xb styling cues.
    The Bad:
    I've been a passenger on bikes since 2yrs old, but only learned to ride them myself 8 months ago. I still won't
    take my xb9 full throttle, because that thing has some power. On my 15 minute first ride, I was opening it up to
    full throttle multiple times. It was fun this time, but how quickly will that seem too slow?
    Top speed - 85ish mph
    Range
    Front turn signals looks ridiculous
    Mirrors are useless - your arms block your ability to see them.
    The Sportster cues in the styling. If it had more vrod, I would have liked it better.
    If owning, how are other HD riders going to view your eco friendly, much smaller bike that doesn't sound like the
    iconic HD? Instead of a bar, do you ride these to Starbucks?

Of course, loving the Buell brand, it's a little offensive to have them put out a bike for all the reasons they axed Buell. On top of that, to have similar proportions and many styling cues rubbed a little salt in the wound.

The other misleading thing about a lot of rider impressions is how overwhelmingly positive they are. It's like going to the car dealer and hopping in a brand new base model car. Yes, it's nice - it's brand new. Everyone loves something when it's new. It's after you've had it a few months that you start to learn how you are really going to feel about it. Add to it the exclusivity part, and of course everyone is going to be favorable to it.

In the end, it's a decently nice looking, decently fast electric scooter. If I had a job that had electric hookups available that didn't cost me to use, I would consider this as a second bike. There is no way it could replace a Buell.

Harley loyals don't accept V-rods as a "real Harley". I'm not sure what makes H-D think they'll accept a small electronic bike. I think they'll laugh at the Highwire.

Instead of a bar, do you ride these to Starbucks?Â*
    I ride my Buell to starbucks more often than the bar. I find caffeine to be a bit safer than alcohol...

I don't think Harley is trying to get people to trade in their street glides on the livewire. Harley is trying to get with the times and enter into a new market (diversification=lower risks+zeitgeist). I hope they bring it to market with a better millage battery. I'm still waiting on a self-charging e-bike. Ever use one of those wind-up flashlights?

Ive seen a shake to charge flashlight... I think that should be integrated. Repetitively knock it over to charge it :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast