Thread: A couple of issues

I've got a couple of issues with my bike (03 XB9R)... Feel free to comment; as always, advice is welcomed!

First, I've had an intermittent starting issue. It used to happen once in a while but now it's a lot more. I turn the ignition key and the gauges do their think. I flip the kill switch and usually the fuel pump primes up. I think this is correct (?)... It doesn't prime until both switches are on (?) Sometimes - now a lot of times - the fuel pump doesn't come on. I shut both switched off and do it again and the pump primes up. A couple of days ago the bike just stopped. The gauge lights were still on. I shut both switches off and then back on and the bike started. It's never shut off while riding before. I'm not gonna take it anywhere again until I fix the problem. I know it could be a loose wire... I haven't had time to take it apart yet. I'm thinking now it could also be the fuel pump relay. I ordered one - even if that's not the problem, the part is cheap, so good to have anyway. It could be the ignition switch maybe. I think it's less likely to be the pump itself, but I suppose that's a possibility too. I'll use the manual to troubleshoot , but a little insight would help.

The other issue - I don't think it's related - is an unstable throttle response at low speed. Kinda hard to tell with an engine that idles like a paint mixer but it feels a little like its chugging until I get going faster than parking lot speeds. There's two things that I think may have something to do with this. First, I had to replace the ECM that was in the bike when I bought it. It was not a race ECM but it looked like a salvage becsuse it had "Firebolt XB9R" written on it in marker. I replaced it with the same year ECM - again not a race one. It ran better after that. Yes, I zero'do the TPS too. The bike has a Hawk muffler and K&N air filter - no other performance mods. I'm guessing that the replacement ECM has a stock program in it. Considering the two mods, could this be an issue? The other half of the problem is that the throttle cable can no longer be adjusted tight enough and there is a small amount of slack. (Yeah I know it could break anytime) I don't think the TPS can be properly zero'd if there is any slack present. I'll be replacing that and the clutch cable soon when I change to the higher clip-ons I got from ASB. I don't know anything about tuning but I do know how to zero the TPS with ECM Spy.

Thanks for any feedback and thanks for reading my long post - I can never seem to just post a couple of sentences! :D

One of my Blasts shuts off randomly while riding, until I flip the kill switch on the right bar off and on again. I know others have had a similar issue with that switch. My first thought is to open up your kill switch and spray it down with some contact cleaner, it fixed others' issues.

As for #2- The replacement ECM may have some weird tune on it. Seeing as your bike is an '03, you can access the ECM with the free version of ECMSpy and get it sorted out quickly. However, since you can't correctly zero your TPS due to a faulty throttle cable, that would definitely be the place to start.

Inactive
    Yes, I zero'do the TPS too
    i hope you mean you set the tps at a value between 5.1 and 5.5. i prefer 5.1
    do the easy things first and check battery terminal connections....the positive cable end at the starter...and the negative cable end at the frame attachment point. lastly....your 2003 should have a sidestand safety switch if it is stock and original. it should also have the dreaded "bolt and nut" sidestand attachment hardware which sux. if the attachment bolt shaft is heavily worn....or the switch is bad...the results will be what you are plagued with when riding. check them.

as jetlee pointed out, cleaning the switch housing with contact cleaner, let the entire assembly dry out before putting both halves together. also, disconnect the fuel pump connectors and take a look at the both ends, any corrosion on the terminals? was it properly connected? take a look at the ignition switch also, could be worn contact surfaces, something shorting, moisture issues...
    your starting sequence is correct as for how the gauges and fuel pump work, however...with what you said when you flip the switch off then on again then the fuel pump primes, sounds likely that the switch is worn or something interfering with the contact surfaces or wire connection at the switch is weak. do a wiggle test of the wire harness at the hand control when the fuel pump doesn't prime and see what happens. if you have emcspy...check for codes or jump the pins and read the CEL flashes.
    lunatic nailed the common things to look at on '03 models.

Awesome - thank you guys for the pointers. I'll start out with the checks you recommend. Oh, and no I didn't set the TPS to zero - don't think the bike would even start in that case.