Thread: Front Suspension Adjustment

I have a 2009 XB12R. Purchased a new un-ridden bike that had been in storage since it was purchased (3 miles on the ODO). Have been going through the machine, replacing fluids and getting it ready to ride.

Have all the front and rear suspension settings done for my weight, 165 lbs, except one - preload. In the service manual it says to observe the number of lines showing and adjust to get the number of lines for your weight based on the table.

Problem is, mine has no lines showing! Turning the adjustment nut doesn't make any lines appear and seems to have no visible effect although I can turn it until it stops in either direction.

What's up with this?

Also, engine has been sitting for 5 years and I'm sure no oil film remains on any of the bearings etc. Suggestions on the first start procedure to minimize the impact of a dry start.

Keith

You are using a pre 09 service manual.

Front compression adjustment is down by the axle

That is perfect. Thanks. Appreciate the rapid response.

Keith

Inactive
    ^^^^^ nice call and posting as usual jesse. :)
    keith: when turning the preload adjuster nut out....and as i recall it is 17mm...be gentle. some have turned it out to lowest preload setting, bumped up against the internal stop, and cranked some more. such ham-fisted wrenching will break the internal stop.
    regarding your motor i would pull both spark plugs (rear is tedious but i can walk you thru it) and fog the top-end with either krano kroil or a good quality marine fogging/penetrant spray....and let it sit for 24 hours to loosen up the rings and work on any surface rust that might have formed above each piston dome. before replacing the plugs i would also gain access to the throttle body air plate and using the starter to spin it over....fog a bit of the same fogging agent into the top end of the motor with throttle held wide open. do this with fresh oil and filter installed and you'll receive added benefit of priming and pressurizing the oiling system and filling filter at same time. these are roller bearing motors so they don't require the same priming method as babbitt bearing motors and are a bit more forgiving during this initial start-up procedure from years of sitting.

Thanks John and Jesse. New to these machines I have admired for a long time. Only thing remaining before the fingers-crossed attempt to start is pulling the plugs to give the top end a little lube first. I'll hit that this evening...

Keith

Finished the prep work and adjustments.

Hit the starter and it fired right up. Smoked for just a few minutes but then smoothed right out.

Dark and wet outside so no ride.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Keith

Inactive
    Hit the starter and it fired right up. Smoked for just a few minutes but then smoothed right out.
    always our pleasure keith. having a brand new 6 year old bike is pretty awesome on your part. monitor your oil level during break-in as these big air-cooled V-twins can be a bit thirsty till the rings bed-in.