Thread: Starter And primary chain

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 XB9SX.

The starter seems working bad now ,i have to push the start button two times or three times to start the engine.

(The starter just stick in first push,sometime the trip B will reset because of that)

So i plan to replace the starter .

On Ebay ,there is a after market starter (1.4kw) ,the seller said thats a high power starter, is that really a better choice? Should i just buy the buell one?(1.0kw?)

About the primary chain ,my xb9 had ran about 41000km,
    Is there any primary chain kit for Xb9?

Thank you very much

I have good used starters, the XB9 & 12 use the same starter so I doubt you need anything bigger than stock. If anything, higher CCa battery.

I suggest you check relays, starter and battery connections well as your ignition main harness near steering neck.

Don't buy new unless you have to. PM me if you want one or any other parts on your list I may have as well.

my bike is using the LiFePO4 battery,the output are good,i will try to check the relay first ,thank you

my bike is using the LiFePO4 battery
    thats your problem. The first couple of tries the battery is cold and the internal resistance is too high. When you try to push current through on a start it will warm up. After a couple tries the internal resistance drops and you get the full power. I have a 12 cell ballistic battery and the thing sucks at starting. My clock and trip odo get reset all the time. I am not the only one with these issues either. Its much worse when its below 70°F outside.

Next will be a nice AGM battery for me. Don't waste your time troubleshooting.

^very good info. I run regular AGM battery in all my street bikes and track bike doesn't see less than 55-60*F on a lwt batt.

It's very rare that sportster or XB starters crap out. I rarely sell any. Usually just scrap them

A 1.4kw starter is always a good choice , It is a bigger starter BUT beware the battery needs to be at least 220 CCAmps so it has the power to start the Engine with a larger Starter. The Starter will be slightly longer..
    I have used many 1,4 KW starters but make sure it will fit in the area needed and the oil lines will not be up against the Electric motor causing possible rubbing and so on.
    The Stock starter should be fine for your application. Most times the Solenoid causing lack of contact takes a couple of tries to get the Engine to fire up. I have taught many Buellers to Bump the Starter Button first with a better Battery before mentioned to move the Flywheel for helping to start the Engine somewhat easier.
    I still have to do that even now and then with mine with all the Trimings as so to speak. DEKA makes a good 220 CCamps battery that works pretty well for around Three Years. Good Luck . Jimi