Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon build up....

When we tuned a buddys zx10r after cams(degreed), milled head, thinner hg we actually had to reduce fuel from the stock mapping. It was burning the fuel very efficiently with the race setup. Race setups vary obviously. Just something to think of. More fuel isn't always what's needed on a race motor.

innovate stuff simulates a narrow band signal too. a lot of people do permanent install in place of the oem narrowband sensor. I put mine on a toggle switch to switch between narrowband and wideband back to the ecm. it helps greatly with datalogging and tuning.

So will the 14point7 stuff, comes out of canada but its a pretty nice product.

http://www.14point7.com/

the nice thing about innovate is you can program the voltage output and skew your afr so it can target a richer closed loop. Instead of Stoich (14.7)...you can make it read 14.0 if you want. basically tricks the ecm into thinking its at stoich, but running richer if desired. I dont know if other brands do that, I'm not familiar.

You guys have me thinking. First thing I'm going to do if get up with Dean Adams about getting one of his full systems that have the headers already set up with O2 bungs on the front and rear cylinders. Depending on that price point, I'll start looking into what wide band set up to run with.
    Since were on the tuning tangent, let me ask this; will a GOOD dyno tune negate the need for any type of wide band set up? Can I get good results on the dyno with a stock narrow band set up? If I remember correctly the ECMspy tuning guide says to disconnect the O2 sensor when dyno tuning.

Narrow band is useless when tuning, the bikes ECM uses it to determine is the bike is lean, fat or close enough to ideal. Kinda a yes no maybe....
    Wide band is only good when tuning but not necessary when riding about, unless your force inducted in which its a good idea to make sure something hasn't gone wrong causing a lean condition which equals a melted piston or detonation.

If your taking it somewhere to have it tuned chances are they will have a AFR sniffer, which is adequate but from what ive seen isn't the end all since its so far downstream. I think Deans test mule exhaust had 02 bungs on each cylinder close to the exhaust port on the head to set both cylinders AFR

I think I've seen pics of said "test mule". Like I said, I'll probably contact Dean regarding an exhaust set up. With tax season being right around the corner, I have no reason NOT to throw more money at this bike!

Another carbon question... ....would it help reduce carbon build up to polish the top of the pistons?

a proper tune and reading the plugs will help more than polishing the piston domes. The carbon is unburnt hydrocarbons wether they are from fuel additives, oil blowby or improper tune

^ ding ding, you'll get build up either way. Polishing might resist the build-up for a little-while but it will build up no ifs ands or buts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast