Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats wrong with this XB?

its new oil and filter.. his amount is correct .. the old oil was an unknown and was doing the same thing. He is in a tropical city near the Amazon and is running 20W-60 for hot weather. He is looking for gauges to do the pressure test.. oil pump gear can be replaced without pulling the motor right?

Yes, if you're careful, but it probably shredded the crank drive nut not the oil pump.

That happened to me on an 05.
    Oil pump locks up from metal ingestion.

Inactive
    oil pump gear can be replaced without pulling the motor right?
    tom: isn't this the brazilian guy you've been trying to help out for past several months? i would suggest telling him 2 things:
    1-to assume his low oil pressure light is accurate and stop running the bike.
    2-seek out a sportster mechanic in his area. most every major city in brazil has H-D's running about which equates to local H-D techs which equates to help available. at the very least someone down there familiar with sportsters can check and confirm oil pressure or lack thereof....will know how to remove filter/pump assembly and check system gears...and delve inside the cam/snout cover if required. assure your friend this is not shadetree mechanic ventures he should delve into with his total lack of motorcycle mechanical abilities. IMO

no this is another guy.. here is another video he just made
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25JN...ature=youtu.be

the oil light only comes on intermittently .. especially when the motorcycle is warmed up.. when its cold, nothing.

As for HD mechanics, forget it.. these guys cant afford Brazilian HD mechanics.

Telling a Brazilian not to run something because its broken is an impossible task.. you have to understand the cultures involved. I tried that already. They will commute to work in cars that have rods knocking for years .. they run **** until it doesn't run then wonder what happened.

ok thanks guys problem solved.. he took the bike to a local general motorcycle mechanic and it turned out to be oil pressure indicator switch.. pressure was normal

Glad you got it figured out....it really does sound like something is going bad but these things make noise and a lot of it, it took me awhile to get use to all the sounds my '05 makes....other than the usual maintenance and small fixes ther isn't much you can do until something really lets go, i mean if you tore an XB apart every time it made some kind of noise it would always be in pieces, ride em till they pop...

Haha. As soon as I watched the video I thought, crap if there's something wrong with the internals of that bike, my bike is jacked too. They sound similar.... And I just had my top end rebuilt less then 50 miles ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12