Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall mount for extra wheels?

I'm looking for the nicest way to organize my extra Buell wheels and plastics in my garage. I'm essentially looking for a wall mounted wheel hanger with a 1" diameter powdercoated pipe. I found this from Merrick Machine, but it has a 1.5" pipe, so it won't fit through the axle of the Buell wheels. If anyone has something similar, I'd love to se your set up.

William

I use shelves for wheels and stack the air boxes inside of each other with foam between them on top shelf.

You can make something by welding 7/8" bar or all thread to a flat plate. And mount that to a wall. Wouldn't go 1", something smaller will give wiggle room if needed. They take up a lot of space and 40+lbs (full rotor & tire) each adds up quick so make sure it's well secured.

I've thought of running by one of the local welding shops to have something made, and then send it out to the powder coater. I've read of someone finding a great deal at a Harbor freight for a similar mount (on clearance for around $5 ea), so I wanted to throw this out there just in case.

I'm literally heading to harbor freight right now, I don't remember seeing anything like that before, but if I do I'll check out the quality.

Just go to a fab shop around you. Chances are they have scrape pieces in the sizes you need, if they're a decent business they will punch some holes and weld it up for you fairly cheap. I would suggest using spax screws for securing it to the wall. Put a couple of those in studs and its good to go.

If all you want is a pipe sticking out of the wall go buy a section of iron pipe. Most hardware stores will cut and thread one end for you. Or sometimes you can buy a small section threaded both ends and just cut the threads off one end. Thread the other end into a pipe flange and bolt to wall securely. The flanges aren't very big so make sure its attached well. How many are you wanting to store on one rod?

http://tinyurl.com/o94trtc $60
    Any rack that mounts like this will be more secure. I like this one because it will fold flat and accommodate a wide range of sizes

Putting motorcycle tires on those, unless you can fill the whole rack will be a pain. They will fall over, also those types of racks can induce flat spots.

Have you ever had a flat spot? I leave mine sitting on the concrete all winter and don't have an issue with flat spots. I think that's just something people like to say because it sounds good in theory.

If you start at one end they wont fall over. I dont even know why Im arguing about a tire rack.... It holds tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast