Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 buell x1 breaks up under full throttle

I am having trouble with my X1, its like having half a bike right now its down on power and when you try to accelerate under full throttle it breaks up and cuts out. if you roll the throttle on it will rev out, but you almost have to coax it to go all the way through the RPM range. I checked the plugs they look perfect if anything a tad rich, i had the bike in to a local shop and they thought it was my ecm but i have two and have switched back and forth between the two and there is no change. In all reality it would be nice to just take it to a shop that is willing to dig a little bit and that can properly tune it. If anyone has any input please share, or if any one is on the west coast around the LA, Ventura county area that could help out in person that would be great as well.

Thanks
    Bill Kleines

Have you checked spark at both plugs, or ohm'd the coil?

I put brand new plugs in not long ago and just recently checked them, I also tested a brand new coil to see if that was the issue and still had the same problem. I ordered a new O2 sensor last night to give that a shot.

It sounds like secondary ignition. Plug wires new?

I replaced the wires just a few months ago and probably have less than 400 miles on them and like i said the plugs even look fine if it wasn't firing properly i would assume to see them fowled out or at least looking some what rich

Inactive
    and like i said the plugs even look fine if it wasn't firing properly i would assume to see them fowled out or at least looking some what rich
    not necessarily. plugs are deceptive. they'll even fire to atmosphere when faulty. humor yourself and try another fresh set as they're the cheapest possible problem-solver. then move onto coil wire connection....check for any vacuum leaks...and if capable run an accurate compression test on warm motor with throttle WFO. but your description of having to "throttle nurse" the bike to life sure sounds like an ignition source problem.

I agree with you thats what i have been thinking all along ill pick up a new set tomorrow as well as installing a new O2 sensor, i even have a brand new coil to throw in as well, but i have tried all of them individually before with no luck i dont have anything to louse giving it a shot though. I am going to test the intake seals tomorrow as well i don't think that that's the problem but i have the seals in the tool box if need be.

so today i also discovered i had bad fuel injector o-rings so i tore the bike down and replaced them and just did a quick test ride and is a lot better but it is still breaking up, it had enough power on the test ride to pull the front tire through first and second but once i hit third under full acceleration it broke up again. my new O2 sensor should arrive tomorrow as well as i am getting a new set of plugs. ill install them all tomorrow as well as reset the TPS sensor just for good measure.

Bill,
    Went through similar issues with my X1. TPS reset and resetting the timing solved it. FWIW, I chased it like you are, plugs and wires, O2 sensor, cylinder temp sensor etc. Nothing realy made a difference until rechecking the timing and TPS.

Rock1576,
    How did you go about resetting the timing i know its located behind the cover on the right hand side of the case below the front cylinder head, but do i have to drill out those rivets then manually adjust the timing by taking out the plugs or disconnecting the coil and turning the engine over or is something i can tackle with ecm spy. i still am struggling with the ecm spy activation so i can fully unlock the program and i am still learning about the full capabilities of the program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast