Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: project blast-ket case

Just got the battery put in. Added oil and fuel. Well now another issue. When I go to start it I hear the starter hit the ring gear but won't engage. It did some what spin 3 times. But now I just hear it hit. Its not your normal clicking like as a low battery or relay would give. Any ideas? I have tried rocking it back and forth, in gear and in nuteral. No dice. I'll try to get a video up to show you.

not starting

The clicking is happening on each press of the starter button. One push equals one click.

Inactive
    ^^^^^ chris...that might be my fault. did you give that battery a 10 amp charge for 10 minutes or so and try it? did you try jumping it off vehicle or garden tractor battery WITH VEHICLE NOT RUNNING? try it and if it starts it is the battery and i'll send you the freight money back. sure sounds like it. john

I'm not to worried about it. I did charge it up and trickled it though the night. I did try rolling it in nuteral and tried cranking. I did get it to crank. It was weak and it would kick out. Charged it up a bit and it did start, for a second or 3. Charging it up again now. Haven't tried jumping it yet. That's the next step. Taking a break to do yard work. I haed back to work next week. Gone for 5 days home for 2. And repeat until I go to a 7 on 7 off shift.

Well..... It starts. And goes. Clutch cable and primary chain need adjusted just a bit more. But I think something is still off. Jumped it off my truck. It clicked like in the video a few times then fired up. Sounded OK. Let it run for a bit. Some oil burned off the header. Took it around the block. Shifted OK, but just not right. Then it died. Started to push it home while cranking on it. Got it to start again. Got it home running. Noticed it was smoking again. Well go figure upper rocker cover started leaking in one spot. Tried to start it again to post a video. But it would start. Even when I tried to jump it off the truck.

So any ideas on the starting issue? Battery? Starter/ ring gear misalignment? Also this is a dumb question I think I know the answer to, can I take the rocker cover off without pulling the chassis off? In my pics it looks possible. If its not one thing its another. Chalk one up for the blast-ket case.

New rocker gaskets in. Just had to take the bike apart to do it. 2 hours to take it apart. 10 seconds to replace gaskets. Think I might mess with the stater since its torn down again.

So after fighting it to get it back together, its more or less done. I cleaned all the grounds and battery cables. Starts like a dream for the mist part. She is ready to drive now.

its alive

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm sure I'm going to need more in the future

Congrats!

SWEET!

Thanks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast