Thread: Relocating ECM/fusebox etc..

Hey guys, I know this has been covered before but I can't really find it covered in the depth that I'm looking for. I am converting my firebolt into a street fighter, i have fabricated a mockup gauge and headlight mount, now I'm looking to relocate the front electronics (normally hidden behind the huge nose fairing). Seems like the best option is butting them around the air filter, under the "tank cover". I have considered moving them to the tail section, however this would take some slight modification of the stock harness to lengthen the wires. I don't mind doing this, but I would rather opt for a simpler solution.

So, I want to move them to the airbox. What's the best way to get everything back there? fishing them through the frame and around the engine does not seem trivial, as everything is packed tight. I would rather not have to cut and rewire the elements i'll be moving, but if I can't find an easy way then that might be what happens. Thanks in advance guys!

Hey Ferris. Unfortunately the best way is to make a new wiring harness once you locate all your components exactly where you want them. I have some time investaging this and it's the only real option. If your gonna do it, do it right.

But to answer some of your questions, yes the fuse boxes will fit between the engine and frame. But keep in mind that it is all one harness. All your wires for your controls are in it too. If you took all the electronics and pulled them through and mounted them under your airbox you would have to extend some of the wires back out to your controls, front lights etc. anyway. You would end up with a giant lump of folded back wire harness where you have to bend it back ( right next to the plastic harness cover and sandwiched between the frame and cylinder head ). It isn't advisable to attempt it that way as you will have reliability issues and melted wires.

Your gonna need a manual with wiring diagram, a soldering iron and some patience to do a professional job. Make a new harness using your existing connectors. Solder, shrink wrap, cold wrap. I have some pics of my harness in my build. Click my forum name.

Good luck with it!

I'm with Nicholas900 on that one taking your time to build a harness. He did an amazing job on his bike and is the reason I started doing this mod. I love this mod and have done this to 2 bikes now. It's time consuming to do, but worth it if you want the most flexibility in customizing front & tail ends.

I'd suggest dumping the Firebolt wiring harness completely and work with a Lightining harness though. Everything is pretty well already moved behind the steering on a Lightning. You're also going to need to make a baseplate under the air box to hold the components in place.

Here's my setup:

It also helps to get a transparent air box cover so you can see how it all fits. Our bikes are special in that we can even get one. If you decide to do this mod and have questions along the way, I'll do my best to help. That's why we're all here.

thanks for the tips guys! I've done a fair amount of wiring work so I'm comfortable with doing it well. I think i'm going to keep the harness (for now) and modify it to work. I hadn't considered the controls, but extending the wires should be easy enough. My primary concern is anchoring the ECU such that it won't get knocked around. If I recall, there weren't any rubber mounts for vibration dampening on it when it was inside the giant fairing stay thing. so If I can get it bolted down well, I'm going to assume the fusebox and relay box are sturdy enough to take minor abuse, and cram them wherever I can fit them. Then I'll just need to extend the controls. Lucky for me, the PO gave me a service manual for it, so I'll be studying the diagram as I go along. Thanks again, fellas! I'll keep you updated. And SEXT9, that looks like an amazing job. i like what you did with the battery.

Cheers!

quick update: I decided that the best way (perhaps the only way?) of getting that harness thru the frame was to rotate the engine. Took forever (first timer here :p ) but it's finally down. Unfortunately, a few bolt heads were stripped in the process. Is there a list of commonly used thread/pitch sizes for the bolts on the buell? it would be handy to have a few extras on hand anyway.

Next step is to get the main harness out.. subframe is off with everything disconnected (that wire tube thing behind the frame was a little tricky) so I reckon I'm about to turn around and start wiggling it. wish me luck! I promise pics when I'm done! :D

taking another short break to bring yet another quick update. Got my first wiring extension made, on one the the ECM plugs. Maybe not "professional" by yalls standards, but I think it should work reliably. Solder + Heat shrink under some cold shrink. Since I only have red wire, i double checked each one, once when soldering and again when heatshrinking. I assume the ECU is very sensitive and a short would just about guarantee it's death.. going to cold shrink the whole length of the extension but am waiting until i have more things done so I can combine 'wire sets' so it doesnt look sloppy. I have work in 6 hours and am hoping to be able to finish the whole thing by then, or at least be ready to put back together. Forecast is great tomorrow and I'm ready to ride!

Looks pretty good. Yeah, your right. Get as much done complete as possible and then wrap the entire harness. Otherwise it will get real fat fast! Good thinking. You mentioned rubber mounts for the ecm. I wanted to have some vibration control, we know how these bikes shake. I just used some Dynomat. It's the stuff the car audio guys use. It's really just butyl rubber with one sticky side and foil on the other. It is a nice cushion.

My build thread is pretty long. But if you haven't seen it yet, it's similar to Sext9's. But different. Might spark an idea or two for ya.

And the harness.

Good luck with it all!

nicolas, that looks freakin amazing. After finally finishing mine, and not being real happy with how it came out, I have decided to just order a lightning harness. Should be here tomorrow. I'm thinking on just putting all of the electronics under the seats, in the subframe, if I can get them secured properly. Looks like there should be room, but I won't be too sure until it gets here and I toss her in. It might take up my storage room under the passenger seat, but oh well. I also need to fabricate a better cluster mount, so I'll take a further look at yalls write-ups to get an idea of what to do. When i raised my engine back up, I was terrified that it wouldn't line up properly, but it was a piece of cake! When I first started it i heard a ton of metallic knocking, I almost cried, but I hadn't fully tightened down the exhaust mounts, and it was sounding very angry, lol. Tightened them up and she sounds great again!

Again, thanks for all the help! one of my buddies was warning me about this forum, saying that people would tear me apart, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the help i've gotten so far!