Thread: oil change

Went for a short ride last night, did a oil and filter change, put in 2.5 quarts of syn 3 in an 07 xb12 like the manual says. Took a ride tonite, checked level hot on the stand, the level is just below the add mark. Has anyone had to put in more oil than the manual calls for? This was a demo bike shipped to me from the dealer and the oil level was about the same when I got the bike. No leaks, no warning lights, I did notice a gurgling sound when I parked the bike, seemed to be coming from the oil reservoir, is this normal? The fan works because it runs when I shut it down, doesn't seem to run hot, everything seems normal. I don't want to overfill but I don't want to run with low oil either.
    Thanks

I too have noticed my oil level low after a change but mine is brand new so I just chaulk it up to burning more oil on break in. I have only had to add maybe 150ml to get it in the middle/top of the good line when hot.

How long did you wait after you parked it? Give it a minimum of 3 minutes before you check it. Have to let it settle back down into the swingarm. If it is still low after this then add a little bit at a time and keep it just above the add line until you figure out what's happening to the oil.

Thanks. I added 4 ounces after a 30 minute ride, this brought it into the operating range. Went for my first ride with a group later in the day on the Blue Ridge Parkway (I'm hooked :)) After 200 miles the oil level was dead on where it was before the ride. I'll keep a close check, I get nervous when my oil level looks low!

Linehand,
    You said you observed the oil level just below the add mark on the dipstick. Did you fill the new oil filter with oil when installing it as specified in the manual? If not, maybe this would account for a slightly low reading, especially if you used a taller than stock filter.

I used the stock filter and filled it with oil before I installed it. With 2.5 quarts I was getting consistent hot readings that were low, I checked at 5 minute intervals during cool down because this is my first Buell and wasn't real clear on exactly when to check while hot. The four ounces brought it to the low side of the operating range and so far it is staying right there. No blowback around the air filter, bike runs like a charm. It doesn't seem like I'm using any oil just took a little more than called for in the manual to fill up. Thought this was weird but for now I guess I'll go with the reading on the stick.