Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03 xb9r project no spark

I bought a basket case xb9r. I. was told ut wasn't getting spark and needed a new harness. I was told ecm was working fine and cam sensor was replaced. To date i have installed a tested (used) harness That included a coil from a salvage yard, bought new battery. I connected all the wiring and fuel pump primes when ignition is turned on and starter cranks over. I am not getting a pulse of voltage to the coil. I hooked up the voltage meter and i am getting continuous power to coil 11.9v on both front and rear coil plug pin terminals i also checked and the fuel injectors are also getting continuous power but I. Can't tell if they are coming on. I also have no bank angle sensor I'm not sure if that would cause this but when i connect the outer BAS plug terminals the fan comes on and runs constantly. I am about to order a new ecm but I don't know if that is the issue. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

I have ECM that works xb9.

I'd say make sure there's actually fuel going in the intake also, hold throttle open and sniff for fuel smell. Have you tried ether yet? I would be spraying starting fluid in before I ever replace stuff.

Starting fluid > start = no fuel or improper fuel

Starting fluid > NO start = no compression, no spark or improper timing

Tip sensor can certainly stop the bike from running but some of mine run without a tip sensor.

I haven't even gotten to the fuel yet I need to get some spark first. Why would I be getting constant power to the coil, what could cause that? How do i post pics btw?

Where in CenCal are you?

A misisng bank angle sensor would indeed cause your issue.

You should only have one switched +12V on the coil, the center post.

San Luis Obispo Atascadero more specifically

Ah, I'm in Visalia, sorry.

Do you have quick access to a BAS?

Also check again your voltages to your coil. Center post (grey) should be +12V, the outside posts are the signal lines for which plug to fire.

Yellow w/ Blue stripe = front signal
    Grey = Switched 12v
    Blue w/ Orange stripe = rear signal

I am getting 12 volts when I put the red multimeter lead in the center of the 3 pin plug and the black ground lead in. Either outside wires. It's like there's a short constantly grounding the coil. Or I'm thinking the ecm is. Screwed up. I don't want to buy a new ecm and find out it was a relay I just ordered aBAS should be here in. A couple days along with a. New fan, mine sounds horrible. Installing the harness was real fun......NOT!!!!! I'm not that excited about swapping the fan either.

I have a factory manual and i am a little confused when looking at the wiring diagram i am not that knowledgeable on wiring. Does anyone know if you can bypass ir delete the BAS/tip sensor Where can I get a good deal on a ecm spy? HOW DO I UPLOAD IMAGES?

I've never tried to bypass the BAS, I just disable it via ECMSpy.

As for uploading pictures, I think you go to "My Pics" at the top.

First thing I would suggest has already been stated, replace the BAS or tip sensor. I don't have much experience trying to run my bike without one but I do know that the few times I've had my tip sensor activate I've had to cycle the ignition to get the bike to fire back up.
    I can't imagine trying to trouble shoot a bike not running with a component like that missing. It's one thing to disable it, it's another to have it missing.
    When you do get your new BAS installed, also download ECMspy. Check to see that you are getting a signal from your TPS. Without a TPS signal your bike won't turn over. Happened to me after a rebuild. Everything sounded like it wanted to start but just won't fire up. I hooked up ECMspy and noticed that, although I wasn't throwing a code for a bad TPS, my TPS wasn't sending a signal to the ECM. I replaced my TPS, reset it and the bike fired right up!
    Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast