Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 XB12 ss cannot crank and keep burning out the headlight fuse

Hi, first time post for help, my 07 XB12ss has a electrical problem this morning when I tried to start it.
    First, turn the switch to the ON position, the headlight is on, and the N light is on.
    Second, hit the start bottom, the head light off, relay click, but the motor doesn't crank.
    Third, release the start bottom, headlight still off, N light on.
    Fourth, tried to hit start bottom again, ignition relay click, but no crank.
    Check the fuse box, headlight fuse burned out (15A), replaced a new 15A fuse.
    The headlight on again, hit the start bottom, headlight off, no crank, ignition relay still click to engage.
    Check the fuse box again, headlight fuse burned out again,
    Repeat burning out the fuse 3 time but no crank.
    Please help! Thanks in advance.

Inactive
    i don't know if the burning out of the headlight fuse is coincidental or symptomatic of something electrical but i would do the following then report back:
    1-remove fuse box cover. you'll see 3 relays. they are ignition....start...key switch. check and test all 3 and replace if questionable. they are cheap and cross over to an assortment of both ford and chrysler vehicles.
    2-check the diode fuse and it's directional pointer. compare to the diagram under the fuse box lid.
    3-charge battery and test. you want approx. 12.6 volts DC.
    4-try it again and see what you have.

Thanks for the advise, I'll do that tomorrow and post the result. Thank you!

Hi,
    1. I've replaced all (4) relays in the fuse box, and put the new 15A fuse and tried, same thing happen again.
    Turned the key to the on position, the headlight on, push the ignition button, one click sound and headlight off, the fuse burned out again. No crank.
    2. I didn't find the diode fuse, location please.
    3. Fully charged battery and pass the voltage drop test.

Anything else I can do?
    Thanks

2. The diode is in the fuse box, installed like a fuse. Make sure the arrow on it is pointing the same direction as the diagram on the fuse box lid.

It is a short to ground on the crank circuit, meaning when you activate the cranking circuit by pressing the start button, there is a draw past 15 amps= "pop".

Save yourself the the and cost of blowing 1000 fuses while diagnosing it. try this mini ATC circuit breaker. They're only a couple bucks

The proper way to diagnose a circuit overloading is this:
    Pull the headlight fuse that keeps blowing. Key on, test both empty terminals with a test light. One should terminal should turn the light on.
    Now, put one lead of the light in the other spot of that fuse position, and the other lead to the Battery (+). The light should be off.
    Press the start button and you should see the light turn on thats why the fuse keeps blowing.
    Now the fun part.
    Pull one fuse or relay at a time and re-test, replace, re-test until you have gone through the whole box
    write down what makes the light stay off when you press the button.
    That is the circuit with the issue. Congrats.
    Start from one end of that circuit, wiggle, jiggle, look for abrasions in the wire harness on that circuit, like at the steering head and the starter, see where theres bare wires. Unplug each item in that circuit one at a time and re-test. Once you test it and it doesn't turn on, everything past that point is good.
    There should now be a very short section of wire an only one component to diagnose.

Thanks for the structure, will give it a try, but it seems a very complicated way. Is there any frequent issue for this situation? I may test from that, may save me some time. Thanks.

It's the only way to find the problem without being 'lucky'.

Common areas on a Buell that have wiring issues are anywhere they flex or vibrate. Yes, I'm being serious:D

If you want to try to be lucky, start at the steering headstock, around the motor, and under the windscreen.

Inactive
    posted this up for you yesterday but seems to have disappeared. you can do what cooter suggested which is very good info....or try this:
    1-remove flyscreen, replace headlight fuse, unplug headlight bucket socket. it is behind flyscreen and contains black/white/yellow/orange wires.....4 in total. unplug it.
    2-with new fuse turn key on and try to start. fuse good? problem in headlight bucket area
    3-fuse burns out? problem is in wiring loom from flyscreen support assembly back towards under-seat area. check for chafing, rub-thru, any pinches or wiring nicks from recent work you might have done. check the steering neck area in particular.

Big thanks, will get an ATC circuit breaker and try, thank you guys.

Tried most every wires and connectors, no short.
    Might that be the stator or voltage regulator issue?
    Because even i disconnect the head light, simply hit the start bottom, what I can hear is the ignition relay's click sound, but nothing from the stator. (Battery is fully charge at 12.6v)
    How can I check the stator?
    Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast